1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS Tests

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by happymonster, Apr 15, 2011.

1. I see lots of people saying they did they're QTS skills test after they received their PGCE certificate. I was wondering how long after completing the course are you allowed to take the tests. Is it until the end of the academic year, 12 months or even longer?

thanks

2. I see lots of people saying they did they're QTS skills test after they received their PGCE certificate. I was wondering how long after completing the course are you allowed to take the tests. Is it until the end of the academic year, 12 months or even longer?

thanks

3. Hi
    The skills tests must be completed before you can be recommended for QTS. They are not linked to the PGCE the advice I would give is to complete them as soon as you can during the training year.
    The new government has said that they would like to introduce a law that states that people training to teach must complete the tests before they even start their training. However, that is not in effect at present and there is no indication as to when this may come into force.
    James

4. The current rule is that without passing all three skills tests, you can't be employed as a teacher - only in a support role like TA. There is no limit to how often you can take your tests or how long after you complete your PGCE, but obviously as James says it's in your interest to pass them early in your training.