1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS Standards

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mcramd, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Hello all,
    I am starting the GTP in September 2012 and I am slightly concerned about how I will be expected to file evidence for the QTS standards (which I am aware have all changed for September).
    Does anyone have any guidence or tips which could help?
    Thanks

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The ITT provider will give you guidance on this. They usually have specific folders and mapping documents they want you to complete and will be updating their materials to reflect the new standards. At the moment you should read around the phase or subject area -get familiar with the National Curriculum or examination syllabi.You can also read about general teaching issues- try and if possible visit a bookshop on the uni campus to pick up some texts.

3. Do you think it would be best then not to set up a folder ready and just wait to see how the uni works?

4. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Get a folder or two and some packs of dividers. You can then organise them as you need to once the course starts.
    At the very least you're likely to pick up lecture notes, lesson observation notes (both yours and others) and resources you want to store away.

5. That's what I meant, get a folder and dividers ready and structure it later. Thank you for your reply

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Yes do begin to gather evidence but don't be too dogmatic about the recording system as you need flexibility to comply with what the university wants, you may find you have wasted time. You should also read around soyou are familiar with the CONTEXT of your teaching both in terms of general issues such as behaviour management , effective teaching , and so on, and your subject or phase. If you are a primary teacher do read the sort of reading books you want to encourage your pupils to read. This way you can have sensible conversations about characters, events etc.

7. Great to be organised, but do wait for the uni/provider to advise. Some have a particular way in which they want you to document evidence others leave it up to the host school for GTP and the trainee.
    The Sage