1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS Standards Evidence Folder - Examples of what to include?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ProudClaret, May 24, 2010.

1. Does anyone have any good examples of what to evidence to include for standards in the folders? I'll be using this long weekend to complete my evidence folder and I'm keen to do a good job so as to avoid any problems or resubmissions(!?) etc.
    I've seen one or two good lists of examples of evidence that could be included following a web searc. However, I'm suprised at how few lists there are (max three) after several searching sessions.
    Sadly, the ones I have are nicked from academic institutions so I can't publish these online.
    Cheers
    PC

2. Does anyone have any good examples of what to evidence to include for standards in the folders? I'll be using this long weekend to complete my evidence folder and I'm keen to do a good job so as to avoid any problems or resubmissions(!?) etc.
    I've seen one or two good lists of examples of evidence that could be included following a web searc. However, I'm suprised at how few lists there are (max three) after several searching sessions.
    Sadly, the ones I have are nicked from academic institutions so I can't publish these online.
    Cheers
    PC

3. EVERYthing you have that relates to any standard.
    Lesson plans, Lesson evaluations, Lesson observations you have done on teachers in and outside your department, Lesson observations done by your mentor and other teachers in the department, notes you've made in professional studies sessions, subject method sessions, lectures, photocopies of marked pieces of work, photocopies of good work, differentitiated worksheets, worksheets you've produced for EAL students, copies of reports you've written, copies of notes you've made on pupils you've tracked, university assignments, annotated research you have done on frameworks etc, Notes on how you have used support staff within lessons, letters you have sent out to comminucate with parents, documents you have filled out for trips you have arranged, details of extra curricular activities, observations you have done in your tutor group, observations made by your form tutor of you taking the tutor group, your tutor diary and record of progress documenting pastoral care/help you have given.... I could go on....

[​IMG]

4. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Hi NewStrings - that was random!
    It's a bit difficult for me at the moment, as I'm owed eight observations from last half-term, so I really don't know how many Q standards I've met five or six times and how many I haven't met at all!
    Looking through my 'contents' page, some examples:
    Q1 - the guide I have says "• Use a Positive Behaviour system to facilitate
    effective learning.

• Through use of tone of voice and language.
    communicate fairly and respectfully with young
    people.

• Ensure students are attentive at the start of
    lessons.

• Communicate high expectations to learners."
    It seems to me that this can only be exhibited through observations - fortunately, it was ticked off in all three tutor obs so far, and in most of my mentor observations so far. So, for things like this, could observations alone suffice? Q14 is also difficult to find concrete evidence for, although I've consistently met it in obs.
    Q18 - now that's where evidence seems hard to find.

5. My university preferred me to include a variety of things to get the highest rating for each one, but all observations would suffice.

Q1 I have put: An observation showing that I struggled with behaviour and relationship with pupils, a lesson plan showing changes, and then a new observation showing that I have improved this significantly.
    I included examples of using countdown timers to show that I have specific timing expectations on pupils, and I also highlighted an observation form in which it stated that I did that.
    Finally I included a witness statement explaining how I met the form tutor's role.

Q14: Observations showing that I have good subject knowledge, and lesson plans highlighting where I mention real world examples and specific nuggets of information that display sound understnading.
    I included a skills audit that I completed, and then a calendar of where, how and when I tried to complete the skills that I did not yet possess.
    I then included a mentor meeting form where we discussed targets for skills to meet, and had him sign off the bits that I did meet, and also included lesson plans or photographs of examples of things that I worked on (practical).

Q18: EPS session calendar with bits of information from them, especially about A&T and SEN leartners, and discussed how this helped me in my teaching.
    EPS sessions, EAL policy, EAL timetables, and other EAL bits I scavenged from my school.
    Witness statement and evaluation of time spent in other Key Stages.

6. Im having trouble finding any observations etc that specifically highlight Q4 - what sort of things have people used for that?
    Thanks
    LisaH

7. A witness statement discusisng the different parents evenings and shows I've supported, a lesson plan and some resoruces I made for TAs to use, and samples (anonymous) of reports I've written for parents and children to read. Remember that communication doesn't just have to be verbal.

8. What about Q13 please?
    Oh and for Q4 I have reflected on parents evenings, printed off emails I have sent to other staff, observations when this has been highlighted and samples of reports.
    Thank you

9. So for Q4 I could put copies of childrens work in that have comments in for good points and where they could improve. Good idea about the emails :) Havent been in any schools when there are parents eveneings so cant use that unfortunately.
    For Q13 I have been using the tracker data for understanding where the children started where they are now and where they are predicted to go - am still a bit light on that one though to be honest.

10. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/education/schoolspartnership/Exemplification%20of%20Standards%20(PDS%20Project%20&%20Sheffield%20Hallam%20University).pdf

This is what I've mostly been using - quite helpful, but has gaps!

11. We are stuggling with Q15. Can anyone help with evidence types for this Q please? Many thanks,