1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

QTS - some help

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by ludapo, Feb 4, 2011.

1. hi,

I am an Australian qualified teacher. I am looking to do my QTS so i can continue teaching but have been unable to find out how much the process costs. Is anyone able to give me a rough ballpark figure please?

thanks

2. hi,

I am an Australian qualified teacher. I am looking to do my QTS so i can continue teaching but have been unable to find out how much the process costs. Is anyone able to give me a rough ballpark figure please?

thanks

3. Funded places are available, but talk to your employer who should be able to sponsor you through the process.

4. Amylicorice

Amylicorice New commenter

I didn't think it should cost you, I thought the school would pay it. because you work as usual and collect your evidence, submit it, sit a test. But I could be wrong. Someone from Senior management should be able to tell you the procedure.

5. QTS Should not cost you any money at all.However it is really a battle to get it if your school does not support you.
    Chrisvander

6. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Are you planning on teaching in the UK for more than four years (I think four years is the limit you can teach as an OTT without QTS?)
    If the school won't pay, you might end up offering to pay for it yourself. It's worth getting it within the four (?) year limit, otherwise you'll find yourself on an untrained-teacher payscale. A little bit of ££ outlay now will pay for itself in a couple of years.
    If you're in a state school: you have to pay for an initial visit = about £500 I think. If you can complete your own preparations for the final assessment (ie. without further tutor visits) there's no further cost because the TDA pays for the final assessment.. If you need more tutor visits/support, the TDA training grant coveres the cost of a further two tutor visits.
    If you're in an independent school: The TDA grant only covers the final assessment. So you have to pay for the tutor visits and support = approx. £1500?.
    I'd contact the TDA http://www.tda.gov.uk/ and ask them for more accurate costing, to be absolutely sure.

7. I'm a Canadian teacher working at an independent school that won't pay for QTS; the head suggested I pay for it myself. When I looked into it last year, it was £500 for a state school and £1200 for independent. Plus if you are in an independent school, you have to do a six-week placement in a state school (unpaid). All of this just put me off and am not sure what to do next.

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I would suggest you find another independent school that will pay for it.