1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS skills tests

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jadee4eva, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Is there a particular time of year that we take these? I will be in my final year of a primary education degree in September and wanted to know if we could take these before the end of our degree? Thanks

2. Is there a particular time of year that we take these? I will be in my final year of a primary education degree in September and wanted to know if we could take these before the end of our degree? Thanks

3. You can take them whenever; you need to have passed all three to get QTS.

4. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

You need a registration number from the TDA to be able to book them, and you don't usually get that before early October, so in practical terms you can do them from October half term in your training / final year. You MUST have passed them all before you can be awarded QTS. My advice would be to do them as soon as possible, (a) to get them out of the way, and (b) to give yourself time to re-take them if necessary. I had a trainee once who had to re-take the maths one 12 times - can anyone beat that?

John

5. Ok thanks guys! I will try and sort them as soon as possible then!

6. As John said, you can only take them during your final year of training. So most PGCEers can do them as soon as they register and get log-in number from TDA through their uni/training provider, but undergraduates have to wait till their final year. You should get them early on next term, and then you can book them straightaway.

7. "I had a trainee once who had to re-take the maths one 12 times"

There doesn't seem to be a lot of point in the tests if you let people have 12 attempts.

8. It's like a subject 'audit' on certain PGCE courses. Those who fail to get 70% pass mark have to resit, but THE SAME PAPER!

9. I'm starting a flexible PGCE in September and I'm hoping to complete it in 18 months. Does this mean that I will have to wait until September 2009 onwards to do my QTS tests or will I be able to do them when I start?

10. Sdavies04

You need to ask your uni about it.
    At some unis, those on flexible PGCE with no set finishing date are given registration number for Skills Tests when they start, while at others they are given later.

11. "There doesn't seem to be a lot of point in the tests if you let people have 12 attempts."

I know of someone who failed the Maths QTS despite being on the Secondary Maths course. Oh, how we laughed...

12. I once knew a Maths professor who couldn't do simultaneous equations!

13. "I know of someone who failed the Maths QTS despite being on the Secondary Maths course. Oh, how we laughed..."

Well once could be bad luck, but 12 times is a problem in my book.

14. MrsBridgewater

MrsBridgewater New commenter

Post 8.

I know that OU students on the flexible PGCE can take the tests at any point during the course (after all, who can predict when a flexible course will end?) It may be the same for your course too, I'd check if I were you. I only found this out last night, and decided to do the practice numeracy test - managed to get 72% despite having a conversation about the new Batman movie with the children when they came home!

15. Sdavies04 - I am on a flexible PGCE (up to 3 years to complete) and was given registration documents on day 1. Some students on my course had finished within 12 months, but others of us will be taking 3 years. Saying that, I've only done a couple of the tests, and have 6 months left of my course. I kept hoping they'd scrap the tests but no such luck!

16. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I was given the TDA registration number in August, although I had to go to uni to collect it. As soon as you get your number book the tests (online) for September. This will give you a few weeks to practise and get them out of the way before your final placement and assignment deadlines. However, if you don't pass in September you will still have until 31st August 2009 to pass them!

17. What would happen lets say you pass placements, and course work but fail a qts skills test and dont pass it before the deadline.

18. lyme

lyme New commenter

QTS skills tests have to be passed by 31st August to enable you to take up a teaching post. Schools can no longer employ you as unqualified until you pass. Take a look at the FAQ on the test site it will explain it much better then me.

19. I think the point I am asking really is techniocally you could get your PGCE and 1/2 a Masters BUT NOT QTS.

So where would that leave you if the above is correct

20. Sdavieso4
    Like you I am completing a flexi PGCE over 18 months. I started last September (07) and I had passed all the tests by Christmas. So in answer to your question you can take the tests as soon as you get your TDA number. My uni told us to get them done asap, good advice as I took 2 attempts to pass the maths and would have hated to have left them until this September and be worried about passing the test and my final placement.
    Out of curiousity where are you doing your PGCE?