1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS recognised Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by caoimhehurley, Jun 1, 2012.

1. I have a four year degree and I did PGCE primary. I have QTS status.
    Is this recognised in Spain. I want to work for a state school and I
    want to get my qualifications homologated. I want to know if anyone has
    any experience doing this. I know it takes ages for qualiications to be
    homologated but will they aacept QTS??

thanks all

2. I have a four year degree and I did PGCE primary. I have QTS status.
    Is this recognised in Spain. I want to work for a state school and I
    want to get my qualifications homologated. I want to know if anyone has
    any experience doing this. I know it takes ages for qualiications to be
    homologated but will they aacept QTS??

thanks all

3. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

I don't work in state sector but suspect you will probably have to go through the 'oposiciones' test and, if successful, will be placed in a school which could be many kms away from where you choose to live. A Spanish friend of mine lives in Malaga and works in Cordoba - 150km away!! My Spanish colleagues tell me horrific stories of past experiences working in Spanish state schools - but I'm sure there are good and bad ones.
    I presume you must be fluent in Spanish?
    Your qualifications are fine for international/Bristish schools.

4. Madrid are working on this but I don't think anything has been published in the BOE yet.

5. If you desperately want to live/work in Spain I would apply for a job at an international school first and wait til the Spainsh govt work out how to make their schools truly bilingual. They are thinking of introducing an 'oposicion' for 'us' to incorporate in the state sector but early days yet. They at least realise that bilingualism will never work in Spain without British qualified teachers and there are not enough opositores with 'native' English level sitting for oposiciones. They know this and I hate that word 'native',
    I have worked in private/international schools and the state sector and know where I would rather be- the state sector hands down.
    I don't think it is necessary to go through the compatabilty of qualifications process or do oposiciones, if you pass this will mean twenty years in some god forsaken pueblo, Do uou want to do that?
    Or go to Aragon or Castilla y Leon and put your name down on their 'bolsa de trabajo' and you might get a job in a MEC-BC- bilingual School project. Zaragoza is definitely a possibility for at least the next academic year.
    We will be getting someone from this bolsa next academic year but you wouldn't like it where I am, it's toooo provincial.
    Good luck!

6. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

I'm a bit confused by the OP.
    QTS just means Qualified Teacher Status as far as I know and there are various routes to achieve that.
    One such route is the degree + PGCE which is widely accepted though of course sometimes, as in the case of Spain, it needs to be convalidated.
    Another route is the GTP - on the job training for graduates. This is not accepted everywhere. It would be accepted by most british or international schools in Spain but probably not by the state.

As above, once you've convalidated, at present you would still have to sit exams to be accepted into state schools. This may or may not change in the near future.
    You could also consider spanish private schools or concertados (a hybrid of state & private funding),many of whom are pushing the bilingual idea and teaching some of their curriculum in English.