1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS QTLS NQT? When Am I actually qualified to teach in a school?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by julie-woolie, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Hi, I am sorry to intrude on your conversations; but find myself in a quandry! I am aware of some of the changes in 2012, however some things are unclear...I have just finished my PGDE and initially was told that the QTLS was included..now it is a different story and I am being told that I have to apply for it?!

I work in an Academy and am at the top of the unqualified pay scale; am I correct in believing I cannot go any further without QTS/QTLS for pay?

2. ninanani

ninanani Occasional commenter

Hello, what is the difference between QTS and a teaching. Qualification. The both mean - one is qualified to teach, right?

3. anon8701

anon8701 Star commenter

Hello irjinao

QTS means qualified teacher status and is what you get if you train to be a teacher in a primary or secondary school. E.g. by doing a BEd or a secondary PGCE in Maths. You get the QTS at the end of the course.

QTLS means Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills and is the post 16 teacher version of QTS. You get this through professional formation AFTER you have done your post 16 teacher training (after paying an initial fee of £485 to the Society of Education and training (SET) for the privilege of declaring that you're going to get it).

Hope this answer helps!

4. emcxr01

emcxr01 New commenter

Hello anyone that can help me!
    I completed my PGCE Post 16 in 2008 and I have worked in Further Education colleges and council run Adult Education services since.
    I have been offered a job as a SEN class teacher for children. I was told, when I took my PGCE, that at the end of the course I would get my QTS but today I learnt not only do I not have QTS but I don't have QTLS either! Can I still work in the new school or do I need to get the QTLS?

5. lmkabeya

lmkabeya New commenter

Hello, can someone help me?
    I have a 2 PGCEs. The first one is Post 16 obtained in 2000. While doing my PGCE 16+. I was teaching language in a college for 2 years. As the hours were unsociable I decided to go and work on supply in second schools. Some schools I worked for 2 terms and some others I worked 1 term or less. I have been told that if I needed to be employed in secondary school, I needed to go back to university to get QTS. I went back to university in 2004. Meanwhile, I went off teaching due to the birth of my second child. Took time off up to 2008 where I passed the literacy, numeracy and Ict skills test. Everything were ok. I received my certificate stating that I have been granted QTS but I need to cover an induction period. I am a linguist living in the north west of England where finding language teaching position became a nightmare. I managed to survive with my 2 children on my own by working on supply up to time the governement decided in
    2012 that I can no longer work on supply if I have not completed my induction within the period of 5 years from the date of my qualification which is in June 2008. Now I ended up with no prospect of job but a student loan to pay back, no chance to move my career toward except if I paid £485 to a teaching organisation SET for a chance to be awarded QTLS . What a rip off and a disgrace to the teaching profession where my past experience count for nothing.
    My children have suffered due to my unstability of work. I am feeling depressed due to the stupid decision someone in a position a power has made without taking into consideration teachers' circumstances. I feel sorry for my own children but I feel sorry for the new generation of pupils.
    So can someone help to understand what I am supposed to do in that case. Feel free to provide any guidance

6. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

You need to obtain an induction post to get your QTS confirmed the five year rule only applies to primary and secondary so you can still do FE supply. Also within primary and secondary the block only applies to day to day supply. You can however do term supply which is counted towards induction you may also find that you can achieve induction through APL. I am aware that there are fast track ways if you are experienced enough.

In addition if your struggling to obtain a post what about applying to teach first and explaining you have hit the five year limit as essentially you will be in a similar boat to most of their trainees you may find they see you as a safe bet.

Your qts is also valid without induction within the independent sector.

7. lilibou59

lilibou59 New commenter

Hi everyone, just booked my numeracy and literacy skills tests and I am already panicking about the numeracy test. I haven't done any maths for over 20 years now and i am wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how to prepare well for the test. I have access to the online tests but I will need more support and guidance in order to pass those tests. Thanks!!

8. missred

missred New commenter

From what I can recall ( I did mine in 2009) I think you can practice the questions online. I also think there are books that you can get. Also, I think you can take the tests as many times as you like (if you happen to fail) until you eventually pass.

Numeracy test- I was also worried about this. It's all about practice, practice, practice. Brain training.

If I can do it, you can.

9. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Considering the fact that those without university degrees could gain DTLLS and then QTLS and by that implication gain QTS, isn’t this a back doorway into teaching in schools without a university degree. I’m not naive about the fact that some FE teachers have decades of industrial experience which can be of immense benefits to students in schools’ settings. Perhaps these experts should be employed as instructors, tutors, technologists, technicians, etc., teaching vocational subjects. I’m also not unaware that holders of PGCE (FE) are degree holders. However to allow folks with no university degrees who gained diploma in teaching and lifelong learning gain QTLS/QTS and end up teaching academic subjects GCSE and A-Level seems far fetched. Let’s face it, in some developing countries today, you need a university degree to teach in the primary and secondary sectors. Our system needs fixing.