1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS QTLS NQT? When Am I actually qualified to teach in a school?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by julie-woolie, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Teachered
    You can see by the post following yours and preceeding mine that you are not helping. It would be best to stop contributing I think. Have a rest now - there's good lad.

2. Yorkshire Bob
    Many thanks for what, in my opinion, is the best crafted and well-considered post on the issue of parity of professional esteem presented for a very long time. It is difficult to disagree with anything you have writen (cue the ex-school brigade with chants of 'dumbing down').
    fabambernardi/bbarnyardbeans/mrbean/haricotbean/hasbean or whatever your name is today, jog on and get on with your maths homework, there's a good lad.

3. Your point is more than valid, but you are behind the times.
    The debate is no longer centred on QTS/QTLS parity, its rationale or effect.
    The debate is how to stop Gove removing the requirement for any qualification to teach in state funded schools.
    The perverse situation has now evolved where an FE college hosts a Free School that offers an alternative curriculum for disengaged under 16's, yet there is no requirement to hold any teaching qualification to work in the Free School, even though one is required in the FE college that hosts it.

Sir_Kev likes this.
  4. Oh what a tangled web Gove weaves....
    There are even more confounding factors and I will only restate that gaining a base qualification, PGCE P/C/DTLLS etc is essential long term, everything else is up in the air.
    The question of parity, working in schools etc etc has been demolished with Academies, Free Schools and the renewed voluntary status of the IfL.
    Anyone new to FE specifically is going to be confused for a while yet. Another reason for anyone new to the game to consider a compulsory cert before starting. FE may be my preferred game, but even I may have taken the other route if I were starting now!

5. YEAH FOR THE POBBLE!!!

6. Pobble - can you say more? I had heard the same thing from a source who was in the know- this seems a bit harsh on those who have done the same qualifications and have to apply for qtls this year. Can you pm me any information? I too have searched and cannot find anything.

Also heard that IfL are sending out emails to say that following this academic year 2012/13 they will no longer be conferring qtls at all.

What a mess - and what happens to those with qtls - will they still need to join the iFl to have valid qtls. We really need some answers on this

green

7. Sadly I cannot, greencube.
    I'd love to, but anything I found would be out of date by the time you read it - or just plain wrong in the first place.
    I really do think that it is best to simply ignore it all and get a certificate, any certificate, and start teaching in the sector you chose and trained for.
    My only caveat would be to take the compulsory cert and go through a NQT year if possible as it would seem to be gold standard (at the moment).
    But the FE cert won't go away.... and it NEVER required IfL or its QTLS to be valid.
    Have fun!

8. yeah for the Pobble! Go, Pobbie, Go!!!

9. I appear to have misplaced my bunting. Good job you found it, barneyboy. Thanks [​IMG]

10. From what I have read on this site, the terms NQT and induction are not synonymous.

It is indeed confusing.

11. And the NQTLS will be the next thread in the bunting.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

This is my understanding too. It will be at the discretion of head teachers to decide whether a FE is suitable for the role. Gaining QTLS will improve a person's chances of being employed in a school.

13. No, no, no, no.
    Not for £485 it won't. all it will do is improve your chances of being out of a job and money.

14. OH NO IT WONT. PLEASE STOP SAYING THIS.
    The IfL meant well, but it has taken enough money. It does not need to take £485 to pay the reviewers, the administrators and the IT staff for this convoluted system. Let it die - it is better for everyone. And STOP selling everyone a pipe dream. Get QTS - it will work for everything in the long run.
    The pendulum will swing back again soon, and QTS will again be in vogue. QTLS never took a hold.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It will make your pocket £485 lighter but how does it 'improve' your chances of being out of a job?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

We don't know how much it actually takes to administer the QTLS. I don't suppose the IFL would be expecting many people to apply for it now at that cost anyway. What do you suggest is the best way of applying for QTS if you already have QTLS?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Have to agree with this because it's the case. Also the case that many FE teachers have higher qualifications than those in schools and the IFL had some influence with government regards parity.

Just read the link you gave which states clearly QTLS holders are paid as qualified teachers.

18. Despite what all the obvious IfL shills who prowl this forum state (easily identifiable by their same tone of speech and extremely low post count)....
    I have still to hear of anybody being employed in a State School off the back of QTLS. I can imagine how those interviews go when there are experienced QTS-holding Secondary School teachers in the same queue for mainstream teaching jobs.
    Don't give them your hard earned money... if you really want to teach in Schools, then get QTS. It can never be taken from you and you will actually learn some transferable skills in the process.
    SKA

19. I have a post grad certificate of education (post compulsory) and got QTLS last year, although I didn't need to (because I got my PGCE in 2005) and am currently working in a school as a Psychology teacher. As far as the school is concerned, I am qualified to teach my subject to the 6th form students and neither my qualifications nor my experience has been questioned.

I know that I am not a unique case, so I do wish that tes users would stop passing on misinformation about what FE teachers with my qualifications can and can't do. The law says that FE teachers who have QTLS and belong to the IfL can be treated as if they were qualified secondary teachers. The law doesn't say anything about which subject we teach. Only what I've just paraphrased. If you fall into the same category as me, that is enough. You just need to emphasise the above to those who haven't caught yet and ofc show that you are the best person for a job in the school in the same way as you would in a college.

What is confusing us all it seems to me is the FE review which had proposed abolishing the 2007 FE teaching regulations. Thus, removing the requirement to get QTLS to be qualified in FE or join IfL, as teacher training is supposedly better if it's employer led (so no more ettls courses) The other problem we have that IfL's replacement hasn't been set up yet.

Remember if you have a PGCE QTLS and haven't left IfL, your PGCE is now recognised in a school. Ignore those who say otherwise. It's been the law since 1st April 2012.

20. Oh go on wise one, let us all in on your vast knowledge.
    I can introduce you to loads, if you'd care to broaden your perspective.
    Outrageous deprication of FE teacher training and qualifications.