1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS & PGCE in FE?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by BiologyNW, Sep 22, 2019.

1. BiologyNW

BiologyNW New commenter

Hi guys,
    I'm a pharmacist looking to go into teaching in Biology. I prefeably want to teach in college/6th form but understand the most positions will require to teach in both secondary and FE schools.
    From what I know, to do the QTS on a school direct program, these only happen within secondary school teaching. But i wanted to ask you guys just in case I'm mistake, could I do my teacher training in further education institiutions only like a college or 6th form and still obtain the QTS & PGCE (this is the program I most likely would want to do) qualification?

thanks.

2. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

To gain QTS, you need to spend a certain amount of time in a secondary school (I think around two weeks), although you can spend the remainder of the time in FE/sixth form.

To my knowledge, the best place to do a sixth-form focused teacher training programme would be at Cardinal Newman College in Preston, where the majority of the work and experience would be A-level.

Have a look: https://www.cardinalnewman.ac.uk/university-courses/teacher-training-itt/

I've no connection to the college although I live near it so I can't really comment on how good (or otherwise) it might be.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

You do not need QTS to teach in FE. There are training routes specifically for FE such as PGCE and these will not include QTS, but often will allow you to apply for QTLS.

Schools direct routes, as you note, are secondary focused but some routes will also allow you to gain experience of post 16 as well where the placement has a sixth form. As noted in the cardinal Newman course, all the schools are secondaries with sixth forms attached.

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

26k to do PGCE with QTS 11-16/18. You need to gather the evidence against the standards for each key stage - that is statutory.

Nothing £ to do QTLS which is an inferior qualification - nothing against those teachers, but as employability goes it is inferior.

Do the proper course and then take a job in sixth form without a beat. Nothing wrong with it.