1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS Numeracy skills test

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by teachingyou, Apr 4, 2009.

1. OMG where do we start?!?!

Has anyone got any good advice about preparing and actually being able to pass the numeracy skills test? Its hard!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

2. Learn your times tables and fraction/percentages relationship. Other than that, practise practise practise! I've got to say, I found the practise numeracy tests from the TDA much harder than the real thing.

3. Look at the TDA website. There are a few practice tests plus material to revise from. You can do these tests as many times as you like.
    The topics on this test are on the website.

4. Practice the test again online on the day or the night before your real test. It will help you remember the format of the test and keep it fresh in you mind. I bought the QTS skills book by Mark Patmore off ebay for about £3. It as well worth it for me to practice the mental maths. Revise what mean, median and mode mean as you will need this in addition to the multiplication and percentages.

5. I'm finding it really difficult too. I can do it but just not within the time and I've practised and practised. Im so stressed, I just don't know what to do. Sorry not much help to you, just thought I'd share.
    Good luck!

6. I am also finding the test hard. The first set that you have to work out in practically seconds I can't do. I need longer on that section! I stumbled across the learning matters website and you can practise subit knowledge on there and it give you an idea of what you need to brush up on. The website is www.learningmatters.co.uk
    I found this useful as I can focus on certain areas.
    Good luck with the tests when you do them. I find it starnge as the things in the test I would not use with KS1 which is where I will be based but I suppose I might move up the school one day and will need to know them.

7. I'm in the same boat, finding the qts maths thing just impossible at the moment. I just panic initially and then the few seconds have passed! I'm just not a maths natural so it takes me a while to work out what I need to do which is usually ok, but not in this kind of test.
    I'm trying to be positive about it, so my goal is to practise it from now to September to try and take the test as early as I can to get it out of the way, as it is worrying me more than doing the GTP course itself!
    I thought I was the only one finding it hard, so it is reassuring to know I'm not...

8. I thought that I would never pass it, but after the 5th attempt I managed it! I nearly gave up on my whole course because it was really knocking my confidence. I work in Nursery, so do not use that level of maths on a daily basis, and you know what they say, dont use it, you loose it! That was certainly true for me. All I can say is kept going and practiced the online mental maths every day. This helps you to get used to working out things quickly. I revised and tried for a week before my final test. I worked out fractions, decimals, percntages and conversions. I practised so much that eventually it was cemented in my head. I revised eqivalent fractions, so i knew that if 1 question mentioned 63/84, i knew that that was eqivalent to 18/24 and 6/8 and 3/4, so therefore it was 75%. I also learnt how to turn fractions into % and visa versa quickly, how to x and divide by 10, 100 and 1000 and how to x decimals and time.

I hope this helps a little, good luck everone. xx

9. purplefizz

purplefizz New commenter

I may be talking about Grandma and eggs but I found it really useful to write the sum down the first time it's read out then just work on it- there isn't time to listen to it twice then work it out.
    I'll second the above advice about revising quick ways of working out.
    Good Luck- It's do-able!

10. You can pass in any context as long as you pass all three. Speak to your EBT/Mentor, and if it is really stressing you, ask for 25% extra time. Many people have passed the test as dyslexics, EAL (and they are not) it doesn't matter as long as you pass all three. I know this will wind people up, but it is not me it is the TDA, phone up and ask them.

11. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

It's essentially arithmetic: KNOW your times tables, you SHOULD have learned them in primary school. The key thing is understanding what they want you to work out, some of the info is superfluous. But honestly, regarding the difficulty, a decent Y7 could pass! Come on, folks!

12. Hi
    I'm not sure that that made anyone feel better to be honest!
    I went to primary school in the seventies and my school did no learning times tables by rote, and mental maths wasn't really focused on at all, hence answers just aren't 'immediate' to me. I don't think the issue is the maths itself, as we've all passed the O'level or GCSE, but rather the number of seconds you have to work the questions out. If you are not a natural at maths that first few seconds can be taken up with a quick panic and certainly for me that's what I need to get over. I appreciate it is easy for some, but not for others.
    They do lots of mental maths at school these days and my nine year old is great at working things out in five seconds (teaching of maths has improved so much!) At the moment I can do it, but not within the few seconds.
    I'm sure with lots of practice we'll be fine, but I feel it's good to tackle it now and get it out of the way asap.

13. I'd have to disagree. They don't teach box and whisker diagrams in y7 and as a mature student who did G.C.S.Es the first year they came out, some revision was definitely needed before I could take the test.
    As someone mentioned earlier, the Mark Pattmore book is very useful. It has practise questions and answers for every type of question you may face. I would highly recommend it.
    Good luck, I'm sure you will pass!

14. I agree. I didn't pass any of the online practise tests but passed the real thing first time. Fractions, decimals and percentages seemed to be the main focus.