1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTs Numeracy help

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by SarahReed, Jan 3, 2012.

1. SarahReed

SarahReed New commenter

Hi everyone I am after some advice.
    I am an English trainee and took my test for the first time today and failed by one mark! I'm not sure how I did this well becuase I have never seen some of the Stats before. Did anyone else find this when they were doing their test? I have the Mark Patmore book but I couldn't these examples in there either! Can anyone recommend any books or other resources?
    Many thanks :)

2. SarahReed

SarahReed New commenter

Hi everyone I am after some advice.
    I am an English trainee and took my test for the first time today and failed by one mark! I'm not sure how I did this well becuase I have never seen some of the Stats before. Did anyone else find this when they were doing their test? I have the Mark Patmore book but I couldn't these examples in there either! Can anyone recommend any books or other resources?
    Many thanks :)

3. The TDA website has some practice tests online - definately do these. There is also some revision material on there - box and whisker graphs for example (which do come up in the test but which I've never actually seen used anywhere else in the real world). You might find that helpful.
    Also check out the BBC Bitesize websites - they're not bad either.
    My uni recommended some good resources - have you asked yours?
    Good luck for next time round.

4. SarahReed

SarahReed New commenter

Thanks Jamies mum :) I did practice these but there were a couple of stat questions that I had never seen before and I can't find them in any of the books! I didn't expect the test to be compleltely identical but I'm worried more examples will keep coming up that I don't know!
    Also, I've seen lots of people on this forum who try really and never pass the test! I'm terrified that's going to me. I can hardly sleep or eat becuase or this, or revise!!

5. I took the tests recently (22/12/2011) and to my surprise passed. I am terrible at maths and always have been. My tip which is slightly off topic is to develop a system of answering. The mental maths completely defeated me at firs twhen I used the TDA practice test, but in reality the calculations are quite simple its just the pressure of being timed that flusters you.
    On the first reading of the question write down the numbers - you can then start to do the calculations straight away. Use the second reading to clarify and work out the answer. Its not as hard as seems at first.
    Just be methodical, you've got more time than you think and in the second section you can go back to an unanswered question, so dont be afraid to move on and answer the ones you're comfortable with (It's quite tempting to not move on until you've answered correctly). Remember its all about pass or fail and if you only missed out by one mark your virtually there.
    Good luck I'm sure with a bit more practice you'll be fine

6. on the TDA website were the practice tests are there are a whole section that tells your were you will be tested with example questions and how to answer them!! i would recommend this rather than the books, ohh bad luck on failing by one mark!! its a shame!! especially when you learn that the pass mark changes on each test depending on how easy/hard the questions are!!

7. Hi, i also took all three of mine before Christmas. i passed them all first time thankfully, the only resourse i used was the practice ones on the TDA website. Like many others i was failing maths in my practice tests at first because of the pressure of time but just keep practicing and you will be fine. good luck x