1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS numeracy _HELP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lollypink, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I wondered if you could share your insights and advice on this!
    I have FE PGCE but want to retrain in a school, I have just passed my GCSE maths now (at the grand old age of 31) didnt need it for the post 16 route. I am awful at maths and I am worried now that I will give up my permanant teaching job in sixth form to do GTP and wont pass the QTS tests??? I have heard horror stories of people never passing!!

What are your thoughts? any tips to help pass? I know I cant do the tests til Im on the course but if I could get my skills up now it would give me more confidence to apply for the GTP!
    Muchly appreciated [​IMG]

2. Have you tried the online practise ones? You could be panicking about nothing!

3. hi,
    I felt exactly like you this time last year and managed to pass first time! I revised every night for a month (at the start of the GTP as I was only teaching 10%) I found the book 'Passing the Numeracy Skills Test (Achieving QTS) by Mark Patmore was brilliant (Amazon are selling it for £6,70) and the online tests were good too - although I only started doing them after I had used the book for a while and felt confident enough!
    Remember, you can take the skills test as many times as you need, but I suggest taking them as early as possible as your teaching time will gradually increase as the course progresses.

Any other questions, just ask! xx

4. Thanks guys.. yes i tried the online ones... i could do a few when they were written down but when I did the proper one that you listen to I only got 1 right! hence the pure fear!!!

5. Well at least you know what you need to work on: listening skills and/or speed of work. Some people found it easier to listen and make notes to the first playing of the question and then remove the headphones for the repeat, during which time you can simply solve what is now a normal written question.
    Just keep on practising!

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Well write them down then!
    You will have access to a pen/paper or a mini whiteboard in the test, so write the question down when you hear it the first time then take the headphones off and work out the answer.

7. I couldn't see anywhere on the practice tests that said you could use paper and pencils, etc, so thanks for that-it was the one question I had, and it has settled my mind a little!