1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS -its just ridiculous

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by artbot, Jul 1, 2006.

1. THIS IS TO ALL-OVERSEAS TEACHERS WHO, AS FAR AS THE BRITISH ARE NOT "QUALIFIED" to teach in this country.

I cant believe this British system of non recognition of overseas teaching experience/qualifications-we have been here for 3 years from Australia and we are getting paid LESS now then we did when we first started-we are slowly starving to death here-the only way for us to gain better pay is do this ridiculous QTS-We have completed the tasks, got into a school, been observed-We were about to hand in the massive folder when we were informed that u have to complete x3 humiliating "skills" tests which are TOTALLY irrelevant as I am peripatetic music teacher! I haven't done stuff like this for over twenty years at school! Simply I refuse!!! I think ALL overseas teacher should NOT comply as NO OTHER COUNTRY does this except in England-even Wales doesn't-
    So what do other Aussies think of this cause if this were in australia there would be a national strike! Also other countries like the US appear not to have anything like this, as well-I want to form a petition and lobby Parliament as we will be forced to leave as we are not on any pay scale increment and there is NO recognition-I have just completed my Masters Degree and its not even acknowledged, why? Surely all u people are not happy with this stupid system-it HAS TO CHANGE!

2. THIS IS TO ALL-OVERSEAS TEACHERS WHO, AS FAR AS THE BRITISH ARE NOT "QUALIFIED" to teach in this country.

I cant believe this British system of non recognition of overseas teaching experience/qualifications-we have been here for 3 years from Australia and we are getting paid LESS now then we did when we first started-we are slowly starving to death here-the only way for us to gain better pay is do this ridiculous QTS-We have completed the tasks, got into a school, been observed-We were about to hand in the massive folder when we were informed that u have to complete x3 humiliating "skills" tests which are TOTALLY irrelevant as I am peripatetic music teacher! I haven't done stuff like this for over twenty years at school! Simply I refuse!!! I think ALL overseas teacher should NOT comply as NO OTHER COUNTRY does this except in England-even Wales doesn't-
    So what do other Aussies think of this cause if this were in australia there would be a national strike! Also other countries like the US appear not to have anything like this, as well-I want to form a petition and lobby Parliament as we will be forced to leave as we are not on any pay scale increment and there is NO recognition-I have just completed my Masters Degree and its not even acknowledged, why? Surely all u people are not happy with this stupid system-it HAS TO CHANGE!

3. Nope, they won't change because for every unhappy camper there are thousands desperately wanting to come here...I think it's a case of like it or lump it, unfortunately :-(

4. "we were informed that u have to complete x3 humiliating "skills" tests which are TOTALLY irrelevant as I am peripatetic music teacher! I haven't done stuff like this for over twenty years at school! Simply I refuse!!! I think ALL overseas teacher should NOT comply as NO OTHER COUNTRY does this except in England-even Wales doesn't. "

Totally untrue. Think yourself lucky you've moved to the UK and not California!

I am British and have umpteen years of experience of teaching in England. When I moved to California, I had to take a four-hour basic skills exam in order even to do supply in an American school. And that's just the start of it. Later, I'll post what I have had to do do get a full California teaching credential.

5. Ok. here's my list of things I've done in order to get a full credential, to be able to teach French in a California secondary school, since my husband's job brought us here. If I wanted to teach two subjects, there would be more. naturally, I had to jump through all the green card immigration hoops first.

For every exam there are substantial fees, which I have had to pay myself. Havign finsihed, I realised that I had to go back and pay for second copies of all the documents and exam scores, because when you submit your credential application to the Board, they keep everything.

1. The aforementioned basic skills test. English, maths and essays.

2. A subject=specific examination

3. Get an my credentials from England formally and expensively evaluated by an officially authorised private company (at my own expense, of course.)

4. An exam in the teahcing of reading.

5. A technology exam.

6. An course on teaching children with special needs.

7. A health education course.

8. An examination on the US constitution.

9. A second subject matter exam. Language, literature and culture.Three papers, including a taped oral proficiency exam.

10. A certification course in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (sp?).

11. A TB test.

12. A fingerprints check and police clearance. (The school district did pay for that)

In addition to this, I took a series of three examinations to get certification for teaching limited English speakers in the regular classroom. This was not a requirement for the credential, but most districts now make the certficate a requirement - for everyone, not just mod.lang. teachers.

So, are you jealous? :)

Mattie.

6. invincible

invincible New commenter

If you want to teach in Germany (where I live) with a UK qualification (as I have), you have to jump through more hoops too including exams and maybe even doing two more top-up years before you can be a full-time teacher.

You chose to teach in the UK. All teachers in the UK have to have QTS and you must have known that before you started. QTS shows that you are up to the standards expected to teach in a UK state school which may or may not be different from those in your own country - certainly the curriculum and professional understanding of it is. Whether or not you teach maths, english or ICT, you need to do the QTS skills tests to get QTS. I had to do it and so did everyone else. I don't see why you feel a need to complain.

7. invincible

invincible New commenter

Artbot, where did you train to be a teacher before you came to the UK and what qualifications did you get?

8. "you must have known that before you started"
    No we didn't! we came with an agency-no mention of this QTS!
    I dont agree-training in occurred in australia-
    1. BA music performance(Victorian College of the Arts), 2. Diploma of Education(Monash University), 3. Masters of Education(Monash University) (pending)

-not maths, english or ICT-do maths teachers get tested on music theory? Why cant there be tests on your SUBJECT AREA.

I think we will have to back to Australia because no stupid tests are in australia-In fact ALL of u should!! we were thinking of California but not now!!!! we are starving on this stupid low wage-Look there has been a completion in a Masters of Education which has just been handed in! Whats the point on being here because KNOW ONE will regognise it! Its ridiculous doing silly little tests-I mean I have just done a thesis for goodness sake-gee do I need to do an english test?

9. arbot
    cant you join a teaching agency then and get work through them instead?

10. invincible

What tests did you have to do exactly to get into a German school? How does it work there? And where are the jobs posted? Whats the TES of germany? Are there supply teaching agencies there too or how do they deal with staff absence and temporary posts?

11. Musicteach that sounds good-are u referring to australia?

12. Mattie-I would like to talk about the USA "off-post"-is that alright?-could u give me your email address, if u have one?

13. UPDATE>>>>>>>>>
    saw this on the web:

"'I passed the tests, but they were a waste of time. I should have been concentrating on my teaching practice, but had to worry about the tests. I know someone who actually quit their course because of the numeracy test.' "Are they a valid method of determining whether students are numerate, literate and have sufficient ICT skills to function as a teacher? Or are they, as many students feel, just another hoop to jump through?"

Still convinced are we?...........

14. "Over the whole period since introduction, up to and including the financial year 2003?04, the cost to the Teacher Training Agency of developing and then running the QTS skills tests was approximately £19.5 million. The Teacher Training Agency spent £4.1 million on all three Skills Tests in 2004?05, and the Training and Development Agency for Schools is planning to spend £3.75 million on them in 2005?06."

This could have been spent on improving schools and employing teachers-rest my case again.........

15. Can the school not pay you what they want to?Are they somehow bound to pay you at a particular scale or can they top it up to whatever they feel youre worth?

16. invincible

invincible New commenter

Artbot, I would then take matters up with the agency who sent you here if they didn't tell you that you needed QTS.

Musicteech,
    I don't work in a German school. I work in a British international school in Germany so all I needed was my QTS and degree from England.

This might help you as a starting point if you want to come here into the state system:

http://www.london.diplo.de/Vertretung/london/en/01/Living__and__Working/Teaching__in__Germany__seite.html

Bear in mind though that once you get a job (difficult at the mo but I have heard that they are expecting a shortage once the baby boomers retire, as will happen in the UK), you will be paid less than a German national who qualified here. A mate of mine who teaches in Berlin has been fighting for years to get full recognition to be paid the same as a German national, who is paid 40% more than he is (it's to do with their status as a civil servant and our status as employed only). It is a big issue amongst foreign nationals here and one that has been fought for for many years but is nowhere near even being tackled.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

17. Simon
    well we dont want to rock the boat as there has been a vast budget cut-its is not a school but a music service so again, peripatetic,why should it be associated with classroom teaching? Muisc instrumentatlists should be on a SEPERATE pay scale-sure u need standards but the QTS is irrelevant when u are teaching instruments-its a different system!

18. re: Post #11. My email address is alsomrsmattie@aol.com. If you're still interested in working in the USA, have you tried the "teaching overseas" board? There, there are several young teachers who have found work in the USA via something called VIF. I don't know much about it, so don't know whetehr it is only for Briots, or is for anyone. But it might be worth looking into.

On the Overseas board, look particularly for "Hig and Wee's hot tub" :) The two hot tub owners have long been incredibly generous with their time, help and advice. They're moving on now, but currently it looks as though they plan to continue their good work remotely, for a while at least.

Mattie

19. Hello Artbot!
    I AGREE WITH YOU!!!! It has been an utter nightmare. Can you imagine what I have to go through as a primary trained special needs teacher in a mainstream secondary school. Special needs aint even considered teaching!!!! I am so tired of it I don't even want to talk about it. I think it is a requirement that like minded people like ourselves get together and do something about this, as it is completely insulting! What would happen if all the Antipodean teachers were to stop being supply teachers.....the system would certainly collapse.

To top it all off, my visa ends on the 24th of July and will be renewed this week and a 'loop-hole' allows my school to not pay me over the summer in the case that my visa may not be renewed. Pretty pathetic considering I am employed at the school on a permanent basis.....this is all exploitation!

20. At last! See I knew there were others out there! We just want to come over and teach-thats it! I mean if England say they want teachers and I presume to stay, then why does the British Government make it SO DIFFICULT! With these draconian policies its just pushing overseas teachers back to there home countries-Its ALOT easier to live in Australia then here! So its quite a sacrifice doing it and we are helping Britain in a crisis, so I think we need abit of slack dont u think?