1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS for people who qualified 30 years ago?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by snowflakesfalling, Nov 10, 2019.

1. snowflakesfalling

snowflakesfalling Occasional commenter

Probably a stupid question but I finished my degree in 1988.I'm assuming I don't need a certificate for QTS. Is that right?

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

What was your degree? If it was a B.Ed(Hons.) then you have QTS. If it was a BA in History, then unless you have a PGCE you don’t have QTS.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You can check your QTS status and download a copy of your QTS certificate from the Database of Qualified Teachers [DQT] which is here:

https://teacherservices.education.gov.uk/SelfService/Login

You need your Teacher Reference Number (DfES number as it would have been called in the 1980s) to login. If you don't know it your school HR should know it or there's an email address you can contact to obtain it.

AFAIK if you have a Teacher Reference Number you have QTS, but I'm not certain that is always the case.

The DQT is what all employers must check to confirm your status before you can start work in a new job.

agathamorse and digoryvenn like this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

yes, you are right, the PGCE was harder and faster in those days, and you got QTS at the end, then it slowed down and spread out, and you got the PGCE first, then the QTS

agathamorse likes this.
  5. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

Incorrect. Anyone qualifying with a PGCE until the year they started doing all this NQT year malarky to gain QTS, ALREADY has QTS. I have downloaded my QTS certificate and I qualified 25 years ago with just a PGCE> In fact there was not such thing as QTS then. It is a modern name.

6. Corvuscorax

no, its not incorrect, its exactly right, and yes, you did get QTS 30 years ago, its not a modern name

ViolaClef and agathamorse like this.
  7. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

Oh. I did not read Viola's post properly. I thought she meant if you have a PGCE before you dont. But she said unless.

As far as I remember, I never called myself QTS when I got my PGCE. THe letter from the DfE just said you are a qualified teacher but it didn't mention I have QTS. I know it means the same, but if I am being pedantic, being a qualified teacher is not the same as having Qualified Teacher Status. So, I presumed that QTS must be a modern word coined sometime between when I did my PGCE and when NQT years started.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Corvuscorax

No its not modern. QTS came automatically with a PGCE, but there were other ways of getting it, like licencing,

9. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

Going back further it was possible to have QTS simply by entering teaching if you had a Mathematics or Science degree. This certainly was the case in the sixties.

agathamorse and Corvuscorax like this.
  10. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

When I did my qualification (mid-2000s), Teacher Reference Numbers were allocated during the final year of training. Anyone getting a few months into a PGCE, for example, got one – meaning plenty of people who never qualified will have a TRN.