1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS covering as a TA- a dilemma ?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by elsietanner, Mar 5, 2011.

1. I am an experienced primary teacher who has been made redundant.
    I have made enquires at local schools re. supply work.
    One school said it would be unlikely that they would get back to me as they used TAs for short term cover.
    They have since approached me to see if I would like to be on their TA supply list, as they have frequent absences at short notice from TAs, or they need cover for TAs who are covering as teacher for teachers' absences and need somebody to cover for them in a TA role. I would be paid at TA rates.
    Supply Work as a teacher is thin on the ground at the moment and any casual wage is better than no money at all, and I am tempted to say yes.
    Here is my dilemma, what do I do if the school actually asks me to teach the class rather than act in a support role, whilst they are paying me at TA rates. Should I decline? After all permanent TAs teach classes don't they ?
    How would you as permanent TA feel about being supported by somebody with QTS being employed as a TA, whilst you as lead TA taught the class?
    To me this scenario smacks of exploitation of all involved and seems a little crazy.
    From your point of view, do you see this as a problem ?

2. I am an experienced primary teacher who has been made redundant.
    I have made enquires at local schools re. supply work.
    One school said it would be unlikely that they would get back to me as they used TAs for short term cover.
    They have since approached me to see if I would like to be on their TA supply list, as they have frequent absences at short notice from TAs, or they need cover for TAs who are covering as teacher for teachers' absences and need somebody to cover for them in a TA role. I would be paid at TA rates.
    Supply Work as a teacher is thin on the ground at the moment and any casual wage is better than no money at all, and I am tempted to say yes.
    Here is my dilemma, what do I do if the school actually asks me to teach the class rather than act in a support role, whilst they are paying me at TA rates. Should I decline? After all permanent TAs teach classes don't they ?
    How would you as permanent TA feel about being supported by somebody with QTS being employed as a TA, whilst you as lead TA taught the class?
    To me this scenario smacks of exploitation of all involved and seems a little crazy.
    From your point of view, do you see this as a problem ?

3. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

If you are covering for a TA then yes expect a TA wage. If however you are covering for a TA who covers teaching the class, she will be paid at HLTA rate, so ensure that is the rate you are being paid. From the point if veiw of working with someone with QTS as a TA, it is already happening at our school. Its the way of the world at the moment. It doesnt bother me at all. Needs must.