1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS but working in a nursery / pre-school???

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by grumbleweed, Dec 28, 2011.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Exactly what I was thinking Inky. Surely the school cant have a 'gap' betwen nursery and KS1, where will the children go?
    Wiki, In terms of employment, you do need to discuss this. In my LA, all the independent schools haveQTS in their preschool classes. But are you saying that the pre school will be a separately registered pre school, rather than part of the school?

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

It sounds to me like the school was a start-up with only a nusery and reception class and so is going now to be a preschool. I think a lot depends on the set up. Is it "owned" by someone (unlikely if it was trying for free school status) or run by a committee? Have they given up altogether on free school status? How many children is there room for? It strikes me that a preschool for 1 age group is not a particularly sustainable model and the cost of having a teacher could be prohibitive. If your contract ends at the end of the month, then they have been sensible covering themselves for this eventuality. I suppose if you are prepared that the best they will offer is EYPS (with no pay structure) and then then offer you an ongoing teaching role that is a bonus. I'd be prepared for the worst though ...

3. wiki

wiki New commenter

There won't be any continuity problems, because there will not be yr1-6 anymore. Their free school application was turned down. So, now they want to end the reception group because those children will have no where to go after that- at least not in the same school. Therfore, just a pre-school and it is completely independent but with funding from the EAL for 3-5 year olds, 15 hours a week for each child.
    Leapyearbaby64: the school is owned by a church. It is all very disapointing to me. :-( Yes, I will prepare myself for the worst and already had a look what is going on in the job market - not much right now.
    **What do you mean wih "offer EYPS (with no pay structure) ???

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

A teacher with QTS employed in a state maintained school will be paid to scale. There is no similar arrangement with EYPS.