1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS and Degree

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by catareta, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Good evening - my name is Jo and am currently studying L3 Supporting Teaching & Learning but hoping to become a Primary School Teacher.

I got GCSE Maths & Science at D grade and am a mature student.. what would be the best way of coming into teaching? Many thanks

2. Good evening - my name is Jo and am currently studying L3 Supporting Teaching & Learning but hoping to become a Primary School Teacher.

I got GCSE Maths & Science at D grade and am a mature student.. what would be the best way of coming into teaching? Many thanks

3. I'm not that hot with primary school stuff, but you'll need to get a degree in a relevant subject or (which may be preferable to you) a BA ed which is a BA in education, some of which give you QTS. You'll definitely need a C at maths and english before you can attain QTS, and you can study these with quite a few adult ed / online centres. Being a mature student is sometimes seen as a positive, sometimes as a negative, so on balance, it is nothing to worry about. The best teachers I work with did their NQT year in their 40s. Hope that is partly helpful - I think the focus will need to be getting a degree.

4. susiejay

susiejay Administrator

You will also need C grade in science to become a primary school teacher. Have a look at Access to Higher Education courses, they are designed for people who have been out of education for a while, there are a number of pathways and you can complete GCSE equivalences as part of the course. My OH did one, redid her maths GCSE while she was on it and is now a 2nd year BA Physical Education with QTS. The courses are widely recognised by universities and they really help you prepare for the academic side of whichever degree course you choose. I suggest you go straight for a BEd/BA in Primary Education.

5. Hello Jo As you are studying L3 supporting teaching and learning, I am not sure if you are already working in a classroom-based role. If you are now or are planning to be, then this experience will certainly strengthen any application to teacher training which you make.
    You will need a degree and the equivalent of GCSEs at C grade or above in English, maths and science. There are various ways in which you can gain these qualifications. You could study for the GCSEs at a local college or online and study for a degree via distance learning with the Open University. There are also Access courses (www.accesstohe.ac.uk) which would enable you to gain the qualifications necessary to begin a degree course.
    If you are working in a support staff role within a school, you may want to consider a foundation degree which offers progression opportunities to a related honours degree. You can find more information via www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/QualificationsExplained/DG_10039022
    There are also degrees which include qualified teacher status (QTS) such as Bachelors of Education. As there are so many options, it may be a good idea to give the teaching information line a call on 0800 389 2500. Good luck with whichever route you choose to take.

Stephen Hillier, TDA

6. Hi jo, if you look at an early years or primary education course with QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) and see what universitys localy to you offer it you can contact them and explain your circumstances and they will tell you what you need to do. i presume you will be advised to do an 'access course' at college (i have just done this and this is the course i was told i would need) whilst on this course you will gain the correct number of A level grades in cirriculum based subjects as well as being able to carry out any gcse's that you need to re-take in order for you to attend university! hope this helps! x