1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS after 4 years

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by jbneill89, Feb 22, 2017.

1. jbneill89

jbneill89 New commenter

I know that as a South African qualified teacher I must get my QTS within 4 years of beginning to teach in the UK. What happens if the 4 years pass and I haven't got it?
    I've got 2 years left, but it's so expensive!

2. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

Have you tried to get a school to sponsor you on the Assessment Only Route? I got my QTS 7 years after I started teaching in the UK, AO route which took me 8 weeks, and one term to complete NQT.

3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

4. nicola_easson

nicola_easson New commenter

If you choose to go down the Assessment Only (AO) route, you must have worked in at least two different schools with two different age groups.

And I believe that once the four years are up, you are no longer allowed to teach in state-maintained schools (independent/academies may differ).

5. KKaupa

KKaupa New commenter

What is your subject @jbneill89 ? Are you working in a school at the moment?

Kathryn

6. charb74

charb74 New commenter

apply for School Direct (Salaried) Route. You should be able to find a school. They not only cover the expenses, but pay unqualified teacher top salary (around £23,000 pa). I know from experience!. .:)