1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTLS

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by angieowen_ao, Jan 13, 2018.

1. angieowen_ao

angieowen_ao New commenter

Hi everyone,

I completed my further education PGCE in 2012 waited a year and then did a diploma in teaching literacy 2013-2014 during which I was observed 4 times as part of the course. I have been employed as a teacher from 2012 to present. Do I have QTLS? Or am I still classed as an NQT?

2. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

You are still an nqt unless your employer since 2012 completed their paperwork.

3. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

You have to do QTLS through the Society for education and Training. Apparently the new QTLS is better than the old QTLS. Most colleges don't demand QTLS or give financial reward for QTLS. It is useful if you are thinking of transferring to teach in a school. I suppose it can be counted towards your CPD but I always found plenty of interesting CPD to do rather than QTLS.

4. gogogulliver

gogogulliver New commenter

The meaning of "qualified" varies from place to place. My college requires a teaching qualification equivalent to PGCE (and variants) but not QTLS, which they don't formally recognise. I have a PGCE but no QTLS and am on the qualified payscale.

We were informally told that unless we wanted to transfer to secondary later, we should consider whether it was worth the expense or the time to pursue QTLS.

5. angieowen_ao

angieowen_ao New commenter

Thanks everyone!