1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTLS

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Anth86, Apr 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Anth86

Anth86 New commenter

Hi

I completed my QTLS a few years ago under the IFL. I know this is now a defunct organisation but I do have my QTLS certificate from the new SET.

I was just sorting through an old e-mail address and it turns out my membership is defunct and I have to pay the £70 to re-sign up It says I have to pay this to keep my QTLS current. Is this correct?

Given that no job I've ever had (having only worked in FE) is it worth it? What are the benefits? Is it just so I could work in a school? Could I just pay the fee if that situation comes up?

2. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Yes, I'm in the same position as you (joined the now defunct IfL). Yes, you do need to maintain SET membership to keep your QTLS. In terms of FE, it means diddly squat as I believe that prescribed teaching qualifications are no longer needed for FE but if you want to teach elsewhere, yes you do need QTLS as this is now the equivalent (not the same thing as parity) to QTS. As I have worked in a variety of post 16 settings (including schools), I decided to keep my SET membership and therefore QTLS.

Here is a useful link that I've just found on this:

https://www.feadvice.org.uk/sites/d...n and Training Sector updated Dec 2014 hp.pdf

Hope this post is helpful!

3. mathsman

mathsman Occasional commenter

I asked this question of them last year by email:

Hi

Membership number: AB007

I have a query regarding my membership of the Education and Training Foundation (I was in the IfL previously) and the QTLS status that I presently hold.

On your website you state that:

If you are not teaching in a school you do not need to retain your professional membership in order to maintain QTLS status.

I am teaching in a Sixth Form College. Could you confirm that if I was not to renew my subscription next month that I would be able to retain my QTLS. Secondly, if I was to ever then move into a teaching position in a school then I would only need to rejoin the Education and Training Foundation to maintain my QTLS and not have to go through the process of applying for QTLS all over again.

Regards

Mathsman

This was their reply:

Dear Mathsman,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can confirm that if you were to not renew your membership account, the QTLS status would become invalid. In order to reinstate QTLS, all you need to do is simply renew your membership account. You cannot maintain the QTLS status without having a current membership account. You would not have to go through the QTLS process again in order to re-obtain the status, the status will automatically be re-issued to you.

If you have any further questions about your membership, please get in touch via email on membership.enquiries@etfoundation.co.uk or call us on 0800 093 9111.

Best wishes,

Chris

Membership Team

0800 093 9111

ATfan and wanet like this.