1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTLS and on to primary

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by suzywhymo, May 19, 2012.

1. has anyone else taken advantage of this new legislation since April 2012 stating that teachers with the PGCE that qualifies you to each adults is now transferrable to primary as long as you have the QTLS?

2. has anyone else taken advantage of this new legislation since April 2012 stating that teachers with the PGCE that qualifies you to each adults is now transferrable to primary as long as you have the QTLS?

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I doubt it, given that there are sometimes 100+ primary trained teachers going for each job. You'd have to have a bloody strong application to convince a head that you'd be better than all of them.

4. I did it! Im teaching in a SEN school within primary and have QTLS. I visited the school before applying and because i had worked in the SEN sector for 6 years it strengthened my position greatly. So give it a try, they just have to meet you first in my opinion.

5. It can be done. I am also a SEN teacher and I am teaching in a school - without QTLS yet! Trying for QTS but I might end up getting QTLS instead as I am not in mainstream. I was in FE for ten years. I am teaching from the P Scales to Level 4, which is pretty much the whole of primary curriculum. It might not be with small children but at the same time, if I did want to teach in primary I can't see why I wouldn't have a chance. I teach English, Maths, PSHE, PE and ICT. My plan would be Step 1 - have got into a school, Step 2 - I am now differentiating the national curriculum in my class teaching on primary equivalent levels, Step 3 - move to a 4-18yrs SEN school and show an interest in the primary years, Step 4 - apply for primary with a wealth of experience in all levels of Key Stage 1 and 2. So someone tell me, why not? I have taken Step 1 already!

6. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Step 4 is the tricky one. You've got the experience in the SEN setting, but it's hard to move from special schools to mainstream primaries without previous experience of primary.

You could always stick at Step 3, though. Special schools are crying out for teachers, and if it's a sector that appeals to you... It is now possible to gain QTS in a special school setting, by the way. That was a change that came in a couple of years ago.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I have seen a few people who also have Early Tears qualifications using this route and an ex lecturer, the key is convincing a school that you have a suitable background.