1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QR codes, pupil videos and GDPR

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by WildKyogre, Sep 29, 2018.

1. WildKyogre

WildKyogre New commenter

Hello all,

Toying with the idea to use printed QR codes on classroom displays (primary school) to link to videos of pupil(s) talking about their learning. I understand how the process works, as I've used QR codes elsewhere, I'm more concerned with the privacy side of things (and convincing SLT that this is safe, as long as the right steps are taken).

If you do this, or have done this in the past, the current questions I have are the following:

Where are the videos stored/hosted? (cloud service, youtube, vimo etc)
    Who is responsible for uploading- is there just one or two people? How does the process work?
    How do you ensure videos are 'kept safe' from public internet? (I am aware that services offer link only access but surely once it is up on the internet, it's always up, even if you delete it)
    How do you ensure GDPR compliance?

Thanks in advance

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Could you not store the videos on a local server, which is only accessible via your local network, rather than using the Internet? If the filepath contained in the QR Code points to the resource, then you should be able to access the file as normal. People have done this successfully using PDF files, so I assume you should be able to do it with video files too. But you'd need to set up your browser, so that it uses the correct application for viewing videos. I'd restrict it so that only one or two teachers had the correct permissions to upload the videos to your local server. Sorry, but I don't have any knowledge of the GDPR side of things, so couldn't offer any advice on that.

3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

If you run Google Suite For Education then you could host the videos inside the schools GSFE domain and only then set the sharing to only those signed into the domain.