1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

qca unit 5b analysing data using comlex searches

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by tayla, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Help please. I am ICT coordinator and my y5 teacher (unfortunately quite difficult to work with and reluctant to change) is having problems particularly with qca unit 5b and has been for last 3 years. Prev head was going to deal with situation observing and team teaching, but left before he could implement plan. I have arranged courses but she goes off sick. Basically she dislikes ICT, she is not confident with it and she just wants someone else to teach it. Or if not teach it, plan it for her. Unfortunately this is not going to happen. Her main problem appears to be complex searches, she says the chn just dont get it! Can anyone out there help. I have tried to encourage her to move away from following qca so rigidly, but she needs a scheme or a plan to follow. Thanks

2. Help please. I am ICT coordinator and my y5 teacher (unfortunately quite difficult to work with and reluctant to change) is having problems particularly with qca unit 5b and has been for last 3 years. Prev head was going to deal with situation observing and team teaching, but left before he could implement plan. I have arranged courses but she goes off sick. Basically she dislikes ICT, she is not confident with it and she just wants someone else to teach it. Or if not teach it, plan it for her. Unfortunately this is not going to happen. Her main problem appears to be complex searches, she says the chn just dont get it! Can anyone out there help. I have tried to encourage her to move away from following qca so rigidly, but she needs a scheme or a plan to follow. Thanks

3. If you want a set of HTML helpfiles (designed for ICT Key Skills level 3) then e-mail me on johnson_woodbine@msn.com - I still find them useful for assisting with Year 10 and Year 11 preparing for IGCSE: the "language" is a bit student-friendly and covers all of the skills required for above including VLOOKUP() also IF() with AND() or OR() in Excel and a bit on complex searches in Access. You may find that each new page requires "Active Content" to be allowed.

4. I've had a similar issue myself - I've tried using a variety of different data sets (animals, Greek gods, planets) but none have seemed to inspire me or the children. This summer I've come up with yet another idea - looking at the amount of energy provided in different foods. Here's the workbook I wrote that I'm going to use with the children if it's of any use:

http://embedit.in/EiBZLsm7xU.swf

http://embedit.in/nhHOoswmkz.swf

(It's based around using a program called Junior Viewpoint but I'm sure the general ideas could be applied to any database package that you have.)

5. Thanks for sharing this I teach ICT in year 5 and use junior viewpoint - and this seems to bring the whole unit together.

6. Thank you Simon for the post you have shared. I like it and will try to teach it this year!
    Susan

7. cj3

cj3

An excellent resource Simon! But to the OP - a complex search sounds more complex than it is! Really what it involves is searching on more than two fields in Year 5. So search for all dogs who have long haired coats and short legs = a complex search. Your teacher shouldn't have any problem with that.