1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatari Visa Requirements

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mykrice, Jun 2, 2020.

1. sally bee

sally bee New commenter

2. sally bee

sally bee New commenter

3. sally bee

sally bee New commenter

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Thank you, sally bee, three times.

5. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

Welp, that's going to make a lot of people (and schools) nervous...

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I know this is hearsay, but my brother-in-law lives in Qatar and has close friends who work for QA and QP. He had messaged us this morning to say that QP are laying off 1100 people and 800 QA pilots will be receiving ‘lettters’ this afternoon.
    This may have been said already, but the date given for Qatar residents to be allowed back in, is August 1st.
    My nephews, who have residency, have been with us in UK since March 18th as they are not allowed back into Qatar to see their parents.

7. deadly lampshade

deadly lampshade New commenter

It's not been a great week here in Qatar. The announcement of the quarantine arrangements has confirmed the plans for myself and almost all teachers that I know. We are spending the summer here. It's the first time in 22 years abroad that I will not make it home for the holidays, but these are not normal times.
    Additionally, QP has spent the week slashing jobs in response to the weak oil price. My school has lost 30 TAs and about 100 students (whose parents have been laid off). MIS has apparently lost up to 300 students. We were told that teachers have been saved at this time because they are not replacing people leaving. I'll leave the implications of that for you to work out if you currently believe you are heading to Qatar in August!
    Numerous schools are cutting pay and allowances. We have lost our annual bonus. Qatar Airways are promising severe redundancies. They currently pay school fees at many different schools, they have their own school as well.
    On the positive side, we can go to Ikea again from this weekend. The bigger shops in the malls will reopen after 3 months and the parks and outside spaces are opening up, as long as you are aged 12 or over. And the weather is sunny, if a little hot.

salamandes and mykrice like this.
  8. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

If you have a contract signed. I'm afraid I'm here to support the previous posters.

Many schools are predicting to lose student population. There are no words except best of luck to those hoping to start their new international journey here in QA.

Challenging times ahead. Take care everyone.

mykrice likes this.
  9. mykrice

mykrice New commenter

Thank you for your posts. I understand from my prior conversations with the outgoing deputy head that there are a number of people leaving this year, so presumably they will still have to be replaced.
    This is from the recent welcome letter from the new (incoming) head:

Most importantly, please remember that due to the current Covid-19 circumstances, we are constantly seeking advice here in Qatar from the Ministry of Interior (MOI), the Ministry of Education and Higher Education (MOEHE) and the British Embassy. Therefore, circumstances may change; what I ask is that you remain flexible, trusting and confident as you have all signed contracts with the ***

Having paid for my Police clearance certificate and being ever the optimist, I'm still hanging on to the prospect - however grimly - that things will work out.

10. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

Wow...QP used to have the best packages out there (flights three times a year + bonuses and stuff), and pretty good conditions. Looks like teaching load will shoot up, and already crimped packages reduced further.
    Sorry for all those trapped there over summer, and those without jobs...

11. the hippo

Yikes! QP always was a rather quirky outfit to work for, but this seems really bad.

12. RoryIsGoingToYale

RoryIsGoingToYale New commenter

What will happen to those of us who have signed contracts? Will our contracts be void? Should I assume I have no job for September then?

13. deadly lampshade

I like optimism so I'll give you a possible lifeline! Whilst I do believe that your personal entry into Qatar will be later than you hope, there is every possibility that all schools will start the year in Virtual Mode. Therefore you will not be disadvantaged as you can do that from whatever your location is at the time! Silver linings.

RoryIsGoingToYale likes this.
  14. lollie_ash

lollie_ash New commenter

Hi @tennisrocks101

I think I may also be going to the same school as you, I have tried to message you on twitter but it won't let me

15. synetos

synetos New commenter

contracts out there are as much use as toilet paper.

16. deadly lampshade

That is entirely dependant on which school you are heading to. I will message you and I'm happy to try and get you as much actual info as I can, depending on if I know anyone at that particular school.

RoryIsGoingToYale likes this.
  17. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Signed contract means nothing. Absolutely nothing.

afterdark likes this.
  18. the hippo

Sadly, I have to agree with moscowbore. Even if you do have a signed contract, it is quite possible that your school will turn round and say, "We do not have the pupil numbers, so there is no job for you."

19. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

QP played that card with me last summer, had a signed contract. In July 2019 they just got recruitment agency to tell me they didn't need me and gave no reason why. Took 6 months just to get them to pay the expenses of medicals, notarising etc.. back as well. As for honouring they notice period of the contract, well that never happened and as they have no physical presence in the UK, taking the to small claims court to get that back is a non starter as baillifs could never have collected anything when QP lost the case.

A written contract means nothing, have a plan B.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    agathamorse likes this.
  20. RoryIsGoingToYale

RoryIsGoingToYale New commenter

What a shame. I’ve really been looking forward to moving to Qatar. Judging by everyone’s posts it seems unlikely that this is going to happen. It also means that I need to continue looking for a job... great