1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatari Visa Requirements

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mykrice, Jun 2, 2020.

1. mykrice

mykrice New commenter

Long time lurker, first time poster.
    I've accepted a position for August in Qatar, although I have just received a confirmation that the term will officially now start on September 1st.
    I'm seeking clarification on which documents I need to get legalised but am finding the HR department from the school vague and unhelpful. The FCO and Qatari Embassy are currently closed due to Covid-19.

From what I can gather, I will need to have the following documents certified by a solicitor, prior to sending them to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office:

1. Birth Certificate
    2. University Transcript + Covering Letter
    3. Police Clearance Certificate - specifically the Child Protection Certificate (ICPC)

I understand that I will need to undergo a medical examination at some point but I have no idea when or how?!

If anyone can set me straight or ease my growing anxiety as to if I've missed or misunderstood anything, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. sally bee

sally bee New commenter

I've thought long and hard before writing this post.

On the one hand, I like living in Qatar, I'm very happy here and it has been a great place to raise a family over many years.

But do I see you, or anyone else standing in front of your smartboard on September 1st? Given the current situation. Would I advise anyone to quit their current job and gamble on a possible position? I am normally an entirely optimistic person, but can I put my hand on my heart and encourage you by saying that everything will turn out fine in the end?

If you could just delay for a couple of weeks before spending any of your money on the documentation. Give time to let QPetroleum and QAirways make their imminent redundancy announcements. Let's get a little closer to finding out if and when the airport will reopen. For returning residents first, and then later new staff? And then later still, new staff spouses and children? All maybe, or potentially maybe not. And that's the point... we just don't know.

The only thing that I am certain of is that your recruitment process will not be straightforward!

I'm still unsure as to whether to post this or just let you get on with your plans and dreams and hopefully everything turns out fine!

But if I post, it may just encourage some of the wise people who live in here to offer some of their free advice.

All the best.....

Sally

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

mykrice, I think that Sally is painting the picture in rather dark colours. Yes, she is trying to help, I am sure, and of course the Coronavirus pandemic is going to have some serious economic impact. On the other hand, Qatar Airways is a major international airline and Doha is its base of operations. Therefore everything will re-open for business, sooner or later. It is now June and it looks as though the start of the new school year has been delayed a bit. I can understand your feelings of anxiety, mykrice, but you do not need to panic (not yet!) When you get there, the school's HR people will arrange the medical for you. It is pretty quick and relatively painless, although it might perhaps involve quite a bit of waiting and then some hanging around.

If you have signed up to work for one of the rotten apple schools, mykrice, then you really do have something to worry about...

4. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

I was just going to ask if you have signed up to a rotten Apple, as no descent HR dept would leave you hanging like that. Our newbies have had contract from both HR and their school buddy for help & guidance. They will also be trained in delivering virtual school just in case with their faculty buddy & tech integrators. In order for them to have a smooth transition. Support is key especially at this time.

I have been here awhile so can’t comment on the paperwork, have you checked the FCO/embassy sites for guidance? Also the embassy might have been closed for Eid.

mykrice likes this.
  5. seyoc007

seyoc007 New commenter

That list doesn't sound quite right unless it has recently changed - but HR should give you an exhaustive list. This is what I needed a few years ago.

1. Degree Certificate
    2. PGCE Certificate
    3. Police Clearance Certificate -

Are you married? If so, marriage certificate.

Process is, Solicitor, then send to FCO and then take it to the Qatari Embassy in London ( You can pay or take it yourself). Medical is done when you come to Doha as part of the visa process.

mykrice likes this.
  6. mykrice

mykrice New commenter

Thank you for your replies so far. I understand Sally's point, but feel that this could apply to pretty much any position at present. I understand the implications from the overall uncertainty in these strange times but prefer to stay positive, particularly as staying at my current school is even less appealing.
    Is it poor etiquette to ask if someone can privately verify if I'm heading for a rotten apple?

7. mykrice

mykrice New commenter

Thank you. It's not entirely clear from the embassy website as it mentions birth certificates too. Neither the embassy or the FCO are processing applications at present. The school is relatively new and appears to use a third party HR company, which hasn't been helpful or responsive. However, the deputy head who hired me and the incoming head have been generally quick to respond, but yes, a definitive checklist would be reassuring.

8. the hippo

Think of the Cambridge chap who discovered gravity.

Yes, I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things, so you need to click on your avatar in the top right-hand corner of the screen. Then the menu should appear and you can see if you have any TES Conversations.

mykrice likes this.
  9. tennisrocks101

tennisrocks101 New commenter

Hi,

I am in a similar position too, my HR seem to contradict themselves and haven't replied to my last email which was over a week ago. I've asked my heads PA if they could confirm which documents I need to get attested as the list they sent out to us wasn't clear. They replied saying that they would contact HR and the head to put more clear and concise information together, however a week later I am still waiting! There doesn't seem to be any consistency and I think documents required for attestation seem to vary depending on your school. I think with everything that's going on, we just have to be patient and hope everything gets sorted in the end. Feel free to PM me

10. tennisrocks101

Please ignore my name (I made this account a long time ago) I feel like we may be going to the same school, as I received that the school term would begin on September 1st too, this was confirmed on Tuesday.

11. mykrice

mykrice New commenter

Thank you. I wrote to the (new) head this week to ask for clarification, and have since received an email to say that they're putting together some clear guidance.
    As a noob, I have no idea how to send you a PM?!

tennisrocks101 likes this.
  12. tennisrocks101

Hey, I don't know how either actually! Feel free to message me on twitter my name is EYFS_teach (made more sense than posting my full name on here)

13. the hippo

Qatar seems to be a bit of a Bermuda Triangle when it comes to HR.

stopwatch likes this.
  14. synetos

synetos New commenter

If the school is the Great Educational Slum in Al Gharrafa opposite Sheik Faisals palace then I would run a mile.

15. mykrice

mykrice New commenter

No, it's not that one, but I'll keep that in mind in future - thanks.
    Dare I ask why it's so bad?

16. deen30

deen30 New commenter

Yes do tell ..

17. sally bee

sally bee New commenter

"I think that Sally is painting the picture in rather dark colours."

After yesterday's announcements I would say my "dark colours" have been shown to be mere reality.

I was worried that incoming new teachers would not be in position on 1st September, now we know that they won't be. The Ministry have confirmed that only Qatar ID holders will be allowed in and there is not much disputing that.

18. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

What is the news about Qatar?

19. SnailSlugWorm

SnailSlugWorm New commenter

City in the North East?

20. 2393ka

2393ka New commenter

Hi Sally

Could you provide a link to the information you are referring to?