1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatar

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by yellowsubmarine1, Sep 8, 2017.

1. yellowsubmarine1

yellowsubmarine1 New commenter

I was chatting to a teacher who worked in Qatar and apparently what you do in Qatar is private tuition on top of your Ok-ish salary. You can earn £100 per hour in Qatar doing private tuition So I am told. The salaries are similar to China. It seems like a good deal then if you can get enough private tuition. That's the problem though getting the students.

2. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

Cost of living in QATAR much higher than China though. It takes time to build a regular supply of private students especially at £100 per hour. Your HoD and deputy heads will have the cream of the crop

3. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Do either you or your friend know that private tutitioning is illegal in Qatar? Do you really want to break the law in Qatar?

snowflakesfalling likes this.
  4. tyler durden

tyler durden New commenter

I worked in Qatar for 7 years and tuition is rife. I worked at a second tier school but some staff would easily make their salary again via tuition. The school even organised it so the money went straight into your salary.

I've never heard of the £100 an hour rate though. £50-70 is more like it- but still good.

How much tuition you got was dependent on which age students and which subject you taught. If you are maths/science then you are almost guaranteed a decent amount. If you're humanities/PE/Art etc. then you may well struggle.

5. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Hmm. Yes, of course private tuition was something that some teachers did while they were in Doha. Some schools had clauses in your contract forbidding it, some turned a blind eye and some schools actively encouraged it. Recently Mrs Hippo and I were in the Philippines and met some teachers from a Canadian school in Shanghai. They said much the same thing: a young and popular teacher, teaching a subject or subjects that were in demand, might double his or her salary with the earnings from private tuition.

6. yellowsubmarine1

My colleague's subject is chemistry so that may be why he got up to £100. He did actually say from £50 to 100 but 100 was certainly possible and he said that paid for your food and drink which is expensive i Qatar. But as someone says it takes time to build up enough students. I think in China you can make only around 250-350 RMB teaching mainly English but so far I havent had the time to get students. I know that that is what a lot of teachers do here is private tuition. But how easy is it to procure private students in Qatar I wonder. I didn't ask my friend if the students were at his school or from outside. I guess outside as it would be dangerous to get your own students.

7. yellowsubmarine1

WHy would they need to do that? If it's private tuition it's cash surely. That's also dangerous asking your school as it is illegal as some people have said technically.

8. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

If your employer organizes it, it isn't illegal. This could be a way for the school to allow/assist teachers in making extra cash. Quite possible the school also takes a cut.
    What is illegal is doing any sort of work for pay other than for your official employer. Some possibilities exist for work for pay with your employer's permission, but that's a tricky area.

9. the hippo

gulfers is absolutely right, as per usual. If your contract really does say no private tutoring, then going ahead and doing some might be grounds for dismissal or some sort of disciplinary measures. It might not look good on your CV.

When I was in Kenya, I heard of several teachers who were doing private tutoring, but they did not really go about it in a thorough and professional manner. The school then receives complaints and there was a rather nasty smell about the whole thing.

Dongmen is the cheapie shopping area of Shenzhen, with knock-off Gucci handbags and fake Rolexes by the hundreds. Also in Dongmen there is an upstairs restaurant area, selling things like snakes, scorpions and other creepy-crawlies that you would not want to eat. Oh no you wouldn't. However, the bugs and the wriggly things are actually nowhere near as disgusting or as harmful as something that hardly ever gets mentioned: private tuition.

Here in southern China, lots of wealthy parents want their children to have hours and hours of private tuition every day, in any and every subject you care to think of. "How about letting your daughter have a childhood?" was the question I asked the mother of one girl who was in my class last year. French lessons after school, two hours of piano practice, Calculus for nine-year-olds: welcome to the unpleasant realities of private tuition. Of course, extra Mathematics is the best possible thing for your Chinese child, especially as it usually taught in Mandarin and it has little or nothing to do with what he or she is supposed to be learning in class. Here in Shenzhen, the local authorities are becoming increasingly alarmed about teenage suicides, but of course this has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the excessive and totally unregulated private tuition. Only a stupid laowai like me could make such a silly connection.

10. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

The school I'm in has a clause in the countract stating that it isn't allowed in the country. However, I know many teachers from other schoos who do it and earn around £50 an hour. Most schools turn a blind eye to it but you would need to be careful

11. the hippo

Yes, truth_seeker12, and much the same thing was said about child abuse: you just need to be careful and lots of schools turn a blind eye to it. No, two hours of private tuition after a long school day are not quite the same as child abuse, I grant you, but maybe the long-term effects might be similar.

For some reason or other, truth_seeker12, you do not mention the welfare of your students in your post or whether or not extra tuition will help them to make good academic progress at school. (It probably won't help them at all if they are too sleepy in class to pay attention to what the teacher is saying.) The only thing you do mention, truth_seeker12, is how much money you might get and whether or not you could get away with it.

12. yellowsubmarine1

Hippo you seem bitter about anyone who wants to make their OWN money. We don't want to cause suffering to children by making them endure hours of teaching after a long day at school and there are PLENTY of ADULT and BUSINESSMEN who you can teach privately to. Have you ever thought that not everyone teaches children? Why are you and some others on here apt to criticise teachers for making an honest living (private tutoring)...oh yeh I forgot cos you are part of the furniture where you are in that Shenzen city neighbouring mega expensive Hong Kong and you are paid probably 20 grand a year more than most teachers. Look if private international schools are making millions of dollars per year and only paying teachiers 30-40 grand after tax, then is it any wonder that teachers want to make more money on the side? Of course if we were all paid 100k a year teachers wouldn't need to look at ways to make more money. Blame the international schools not the teachers.

13. the hippo

Please teach as many adults and businessmen as you like, yellowsubmarine. Be my guest. I have absolutely no gripe with that at all (and in fact I did not even mention it in my posts).

As a primary teacher, I am bitter and angry when the nine- and ten-year-olds in my class have unreasonable and unhelpful demands put upon them. Yes, their parents mean well, I am sure, but sometimes the parents do not understand that their child is getting too tired and he or she cannot concentrate in their lessons.

Of course most teachers in international schools are getting a better overall "package" than many teachers in the UK. I have never said otherwise, yellowsubmarine. Yes, I am sure that some schools are just money-making rackets (there are certainly plenty of schools like that in the ME). However, it is also true some principals of international schools have made sure that there a clauses in the teachers' contracts that forbid private tuition. Here in China, quite a lot of tutoring is done by those who are here illegally and do not have work permits, so not all tutors are making "an honest living".

14. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Folks, it doesn't matter what is written in your contract. If it's illegal, it's illegal - law of the land is what matters the most. In Qatar, private tutitioning is illegal. FACT. If you get caught, do you think your employer is going to help you? No chance! By all means, provide private tutitioning if you want it but please remember that it only takes one disgruntled customer to complain to the Ministry of Education and you'll be landed in the brown stuff...

15. the hippo

Well, some schools in Doha condoned private tuition and even encouraged teachers to do it, Jason_Bourne_. But yes, of course you might have a problem if the Supreme (and Absolutely Perfect) Education Council, aka the SEC, were to get an angry phone call. You might have an even bigger problem if the caller just happens to be a Qatari.

16. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Our contract clearly state we can do no work other than that which we do for our school. This is also in our work visas. And I know what the consequences are of being caught out because a few years back a teacher was caught doing cash in hand tutoring and given a week to leave the country. He violated the terms of his contract and his visa. Simple as that.

17. yellowsubmarine1

So? He was unlucky or foolish to get caught then. Most don't.

18. gulfgolf

And most people don't get in accidents when they drive. We still wear seatbelts.

19. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

I think you have mistaken my view on it. I mentioned the situation I have seen. I dont do private classes myself and do not intend to. My contract states that I cannot and therefore will not do anything to break the contract. I also prefer to have my private time to myself and leave my focus on educating kids that I am already being paid to do.

Yes, many other teachers from other school do teach wealthy kids and earn a large amount with a chauffeur picking up and dropping them off which works well for them. Qatari law states that you need permission from employer or sponsor to undertake any additional work and it has to be declared. Most that do extra tuition dont really need to from what I have seen so far. Tends to be single people who dont have family so have the spare time. It pays for an expensive lifestyle living in an expensive part of the country, a few extra holidays and of course the expensive brunches. I dont have anything against them as its their own choice and they know the consequence. Never heard of anyone getting caught doing it though. As the person taking tuition also gets in trouble, they would not mention it to anyone.

20. gulfgolf

Actually, they mention it all over the place. Families ask schools to send assignment info directly to tutors. Tutors call schools asking for updates. Some families authorize the tutor to represent them at parent conference time. Students talk openly about their tutoring arrangements.
    And word of mouth is huge. How else do teachers build a network of clients?