1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatar Work Visa

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sebkiilu, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am a Kenyan passport holder previously working in Dubai and made a choice to accept a new offer in Doha, its taken months to get an entry visa. Can somebody please enlighten me whats the requirement for citizens from Kenya to get a work visa in Qatar?
    Thank you
    Sb

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I'd love to be able to help you, but really you should be talking with your school and your embassy.
    The process for getting a residence permit is a long road, and there may be wrinkles for different nationalities that one wouldn't know unless from that country.

3. ordinarily, your future employer would take of the residency visa which invloves doing a bloods test, chest x-ray, fingerprinting, and the necessary paperwork at Immigration. Quite lengthy depending on the time of year etc. Ive known some to wait up to 2 months. Usually, employees just arrive on the Tourist Visa's , work quietly whilst ther residency is being provcessed. Most of the major employers do that with their employees as far as I am aware so this route shouldnt give many problems and give you breathing space whilst the RV gets done.Best of luck!

4. Thanks Emperor. I am still waiting for the school to process my entry visa. They applied for a business visa for me and it was rejected and no reason was given for the rejection. They are now trying a work entry visa for me. I have been waiting since August! it's really frustrating!

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

This really does not make any sense to me. Mrs Hippopotamus and I arrived in Doha, paid for our tourist visas at the airport, and then finally we were given our RPs (residency permits) about half-way through October. Are the rules so very different if you are coming from Kenya? And a business visa? Why?

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Visa on entry is limited to those coming from - essentially - EU and Western countries. There are exceptions, but very few. The rest of the world has to apply for visas and wait for them to arrive.
    It is no different from the US having a visa waiver program for some countries but not for others.

7. My Wife is Vietnamese. It took us 6 months just to get a tourist visa.

8. January 2012 and still waiting for an Entry Visa to Qatar