1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatar teaching offer - Good for young family?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sheilaleat, Mar 20, 2019.

1. sheilaleat

sheilaleat New commenter

Hi all, I have been offered a job in Qatar and wondered if anyone could answer a couple of questions. I'm still waiting for the email with final details of offer to decide whether to take it. I was wondering if anyone was there with a young family. I have a 2 and a 4 year old and it seems a great place to take them but I would like some views of others if possible. We would be housed in a 3 bed apartment in a family block so we would quickly meet other families hopefully. Also would my husband be able to find work once we were there and settled. It would be unskilled work not related to teaching. He is a delivery driver currently here although his profession before we had children was as a prison officer and he's happy to work in any field. Any ideas on what I should expect in terms of salary as a head of year with ten years teaching experience? £2200 per month was mentioned as a salary for a teaching post but the head of year salary which is the offer they made was not mentioned. I know we can't mention schools on here so I can't ask about the reputation of the specific school. Any adivce would be greatly appreciated.

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Congrats first, you can message me for some additional advice if you wish. I’m currently in my fourth year and have signed on for another two.

To answer some of your concerns, you could give us a hint about the school as salaries vary vastly from around 10 - 15,000qar roughly. Good schools would have a scale but they tend to cap where you would start at mine is 6 years teaching experience. Being in an apartment in the wrong place with young children would be no fun as that would mean you would need a car to take them someplace most of the time and the air quality can be bad I have been told for those who have asthma etc. I don’t have young child but the families I know do love it here and tend to stay for ages at my school. But we do live on a compound with all the facilities.

Manual jobs are not given to westerns often as they are a dime dozen and poorly paid for some. If he doesn’t have a degree and nearly 60 best to forget it. Did your school say you can sponsor him? What will he do if he can’t work?

I hope this helps a little, others will be along to add their pennies worth.

chrissyLissy likes this.
  3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

PuRe has already made some very good points, so I probably do not have much to add. Mrs Hippopotamus and I were in Qatar for five years, but since then we have been in China and Bulgaria, so maybe my info is not as up-to-date as PuRe's. However, you can send me one of those TES Conversation things, if you want to.

A lot of apartment blocks in Doha are just that - apartment blocks. You can forget about a play area for the children or a swimming pool or just about anything else, apart from a parking area under the block. Some compounds have good facilities for families with children, but of course a villa on a compound is much more expensive than an apartment. Therefore most teachers are given apartments.

If your husband does not have a job, then his time will drag by.

4. chrissyLissy

chrissyLissy New commenter

Thank you for the information. Could you send me a conversation post. I can't begin one as I'm new to the site. I would like to see if you know the school and some other details.

5. chrissyLissy

Thank you hippo. I have seen your other posts. Could you send me a conversation starter. I can't begin one as I'm new to the site. I do have a few questions I think you could help me with.

6. the hippo

Yes, chrissyLissy, I have written one of those TES Conversation things to you. I hope that it is helpful. I also sent you my e-mail address, if you want to contact me that way. On the whole, I find that e-mails are a quicker and more effective way of doing things. Please remember that Mr and Mrs Hippopotamus left Doha more than five years ago, so some of my information might perhaps have passed its "sell by date".

7. TeacherofMFL91

TeacherofMFL91 New commenter

Hi everyone,

What platform are you using in order to find jobs abroad? I am really interested in relocating to the UAE or Qatar for a couple of years but I can't seem to find any offers or any relevant platform where I can apply except TES...
    I really wish for an August / September start when my newborn is a bit older.

Kind regards

8. synetos

synetos New commenter

Im currently in Doha and been here 7 years now. Happy to start a conversation thread if needed - overall -

£2200 a month is not a great salary for a family with no other income. Qatar is NOT as cheap as you might think, even if you do get accommodation and utilities paid for here. The blockade has seen prices sky rocket in recent times.

There is plenty of things to do for kids here but you WILL need a car - it is impossible to do anything without one - even go to the nearest shop. The roads here are very dangerous and there is no footpaths around 95 % of the city. Doha is pretty much still a building site at the moment so be prepared for long traffic jams and lots of building noise and congestion.

Make sure that you check out the reputation of the school - there are some horrendous schools here that routinely mess people about and think nothing of it. Also be prepared to brush up on your behaviour management skills - especially with Qatari students. The balance of power is all in the students hands and if your school does not have systems in place to counter this then you are in for a seriously hard time.

It will be difficult for your husband to find work - however if the school is a good school then they may offer him some work also - perhaps as a bus driver - doing odd jobs - working in the library - etc.
    However expect them to offer to pay him very little because these jobs are mainly taken by asian workers.

9. emmettsfan

emmettsfan New commenter

Hi synetos.
    As I am a new poster I can't seem to start a conversation with you.
    I have accepted a position in a Qatari school - beginning August - and would greatly appreciate any info' / advice you may be able to offer concerning the move.

Could you start a conversation with me please?
    Thanks in advance.

10. choudhurynadeem

choudhurynadeem New commenter

Hi synetos
    Can you start a conversation with me?
    I am starting to teach in Qatar in August and have some questions.

Would also like to hear from others as well

11. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

You should be on at least 3000 gbp for your experience. Feel free to PM me. I have 2 young kids. There have been many hurdles but 2200 gbp will not be enough to manage in the 1st year due to costs such as RP and visa

12. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

To the OP:
    You can only expect (at the very) least £3000GBP/month if you DO land a HoY/pastoral role.

As for the costs of RP and visa, you shouldn't be paying that. If you do, I wish you all the best. Immigration processes of a school, particularly for the start of the school year, is a fairly clear indication of challenges you are about to embark on.

13. the hippo

Yes, the better schools have the RP down to a fine art. The scummy schools (and there are plenty of them) will keep you waiting for weeks, if not months.

14. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Ask HR if they will provide RP for the family. If they do not help with this then be ready for a very tough time. It's a country in which you are not used to and having to get something like this done can take over your life for a few weeks, if not, months.

There are people who can help but everything comes at a cost

15. chrissyLissy

Am I being a bit thick???? What do you mean by RP. Repatriation? What does it involve.

16. chrissyLissy

The advice to check about RP made me think. Are there any other questions I should ask with my first international job. I’ve had my contract of employment so wages etc are set.

17. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Simple question to ask. Will HR sort out my family's RP?

If your family overstay their tourist visa, unless it has changed, it is a 200QR A DAY fine! Per, person. Factor in the flights and hotel needs you will have to fork out for a visa run. It ain't cheap because our neighbours are not cheap destinations.

If you don't get your answer then this forum have given you fairly good and specific advise. Wishing you all the best. The opportunities are there in Kwatar both in money and professional growth. But keep your wits about. Feel free to PM.

chrissyLissy likes this.
  18. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

RP = Residency permit. It's an ID card that pretty much is sacrilegious in Qatar as you can't do pretty much anything without it like get a driver license. Open a bank account etc

chrissyLissy likes this.
  19. hitherejen

hitherejen New commenter

I had interviewed for a school in Qatar that seemed very positive about me. They came back to me and said that as my husband does not have a job and it will be very difficult for me to sponsor him in Qatar. They asked for my husband's CV (who is a carpenter by trade), but were unable to find a position for him, and therefore didn't offer me the job.

I have another job, so didn't look into this much further although the UK government website states that only certain professions and a salary above 10000 QAR allow a wife to sponsor her husband to move to Qatar.

20. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

I can confirm what you read about sponsorship and salary to be correct. Anything less than 10k per month doesn't qualify one to bring their spouses and family over.