1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatar- Teaching in Doha

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by TeacherPure, Jun 9, 2016.

1. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

In Doha, there are loads of banks and the function more or less the same as banks in the UK. You can send home as much cash as you want, as there are no restrictions. In Egypt, getting hold of foreign currency was a hassle (well, it was when I was there!) and sometimes it was easier to be paid in USD if there were no British pounds to be found.

2. Sysyphus

Sysyphus New commenter

Hippo- it looks absolutely beautiful and you are onto a winning situation there. Best council estate I have ever seen) I think the OP should go for it- rent is a huge chink of any salary so if housing is free you should be able to save plenty. I worked in London and still managed to save a very decent deposit- by minimising outgoings including rent. You have to think creatively though and be prepared to go without- live a little monastically for a few years and you soon have a house deposit- but you have to be willing to give up the luxuries ( eg a car/booze/meals out/new clothes/holidays) that others see as a necessity.

Spending $15K a year( and in the 80;'s too) on holidays is just idiocy really and one to keep quiet about I would say)

You go for it OP- save, save save and save some more because money buys you freedom.

3. Sysyphus

Sysyphus New commenter

Take this couple- no huge salaries in the Middle East and no 15 k holidays in a year. They are retired in their early 30's( can you imagine that?) and doing what they want with their days. That is success in my book- to be able to buy your life back and only work when you want to. They saved just under a million in under 10 years and now live off the interest. It can be done and people are doing it in increasing numbers. I saved in my 20's but I realize I could have saved more.
    Is it possible to save on that 2k salary- of course it is if your rent is paid. Just don't follow the crowd in how they spend money and you will save plenty. Good luck in your adventure!

Two helpful blogs to learn about money
    http://www.frugalwoods.com- a couple in their 30's retired off the back of their own saving( no generous godparents bailing them out you will notice).
    mrmoneymustache.com- is a great blog for learning how to save money and buy freedom)

TeacherPure likes this.
  4. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

Hi @Sysyphus I guess you are referring to my post where I talked about spending £15000 a year on holidays. Well, I know that probably seemed a lot, but I have no regrets spending this - great holidays in exotic locations, staying at the best hotels. I was still saving large amounts of money. I left the Middle East in my 30's and one of my options was to retire in Thailand. The other option was to work part time in the UK - but I ended up working in a very pleasant Indie school until retirement last year. You say you saved in your 20s - have you managed to retire early. I know many friends who I worked with who retired in their early 30s, but not that easy if you are only on 2k a year.

5. Sysyphus

Sysyphus New commenter

Yes 2 k a year would be tricky to save on.

Teaching has not become low paid- it has always been a profession you enter knowing that financial gain is not going to be comparable to most other professions. What has royally screwed the current generation in the UK is not low teaching salaries but ridiculous housing prices in many areas of the UK.

Comparisons with the oil industry in the 80's are not particularly illuminating or helpful because the OP is not moving to a job in the oil industry but a teaching post at the beginning of her career.

I just want to encourage the op that she can still save on that and it will be worthwhile experience.

TeacherPure likes this.
  6. fsmc

fsmc Occasional commenter

Why do people keep saying stuff like this? It's like when anyone complains about a salary there's always someone ready to pop with essentially saying 'you knew you'd be poor when you got into teaching'. Speak for yourselves!

Contrary to popular belief, teaching wasn't always low paid, and still isn't in many parts of the world. In the UK, yes the pay is **** (it used to be much better even as little as 10 years ago), but that doesn't mean that good salaries and benefits aren't possible elsewhere.

What is true is that there's no one who will be retiring to a Miami penthouse and chartering private jets on teacher savings. But a nice home, travel, good retirement etc are still very possible (but not in the UK).

TeacherPure likes this.
  7. Stitch2807

Stitch2807 New commenter

Hi, not sure if anyone will still be watching this thread but I'm hoping to get in contact with teachers currently working in Doha to discuss 'good' packages in terms of employment offers and, if possible, get an insight into some of the schools I've been looking at (via private message, of course).

8. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Feel free to ping me a message...

9. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Dear Stitch2807, it was some years ago now that a smelly old beast was in Doha, but you could drop me one of those "Conversation" thingies.

10. Hi, hoping to get info on Teaching in Doha (specifically Qatar Foundation Schools) Please DM me if possible. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2018