1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatar- Teaching in Doha

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by TeacherPure, Jun 9, 2016.

1. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

Wow you really earned a lot and spent a lot too. No way could any teacher do that on a teacher's salary. Saving a grand a week is more than most teachers earn a week. The most I earned as a teacher was £750 a week when I had my own limited company. We lost all that money because we weren't working and we didn't buy a business and we were just spending money on accommodation and living expenses for 3 years. Between two people it's easy to spend all that money over 3 years really when you're not working. Thailand isn't that cheap when you're not working.

2. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

I think it was in the right job in the right place at the right time. When I bought my house in 1987 the average price of a house in London was £66000 and in the North of England where I bought, the average price was £40000 - hard to believe now. Do you remember interest rates in those days - I had my money in a savings account in The Isle of Man - it paid 13.5% interest! (lucky to get 2% now). I took a year off, travelling to the States and Asia. When I came back I had more money in the bank than when I left.
    Even though I was happy with what I was earning it was a fraction of what some people were on. The project management of the City they were building in Yanbu was by the American company, Bechtel. Their average salary was between $250000 to $350000. My US boss in the company I worked for, had his wife and family live in Paris - and the company paid for this.
    You must have had a good time in Thailand! When I was teaching we used to spend the whole 8 weeks in Thailand. Used to go early in July before the State schools broke up. Also allowed time to do the Pattaya Marathon (well the Half anyway). Have you decided on jobs yet?
    Best of luck.

3. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

I've been to Pattaya too, I didn't stay there long though as I got fed up of the place. I went travelling by coach up north. Lived in a German's B and B and hired a scooter. I didn't stay all 3 years in Thailand.

About the jobs. I sent my documents off to Korean immigration so it's up to them now if they accept my diploma as equivalent to a bachelor's degree. My uni sent me a letter stating it is so I sent it along too.
    If I can't get one, then I got called by some international school in the UAE about 2 nights ago asking if I want to accept a contract with them for 11000AED. I don't think it's a proper IS though. I might take it though if all else fails. Hopefully I'll get the visa for korea next week tho. Thanks

4. TeacherPure

TeacherPure New commenter

Any others heading go qatar this summer?

5. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Yes, Alldone, house prices in the UK are absolutely crazy, way out of reach for most teachers. Well, maybe it would not be a problem if you have won the National Lottery, married a senior doctor, inherited a pile from Aunt Mabel or perhaps you used to be a City trader. If you still have student debts, then perhaps you will be able to buy a small leasehold flat when you are in your 40s.

Mrs Hippo and I gave up on the idea of buying in the UK a long time ago. Here in Bulgaria, prices have continued to go down, so you can easily buy a big, detached house in the countryside, with nice views and a big garden, for less than twenty thousand pounds. Oh and did I mention that the Bulgarian equivalent of Council Tax for our five-bedroomed house is twenty-five pounds a year?

129.jpg

6. snowflakesfalling

snowflakesfalling Occasional commenter

Me...

TeacherPure likes this.
  7. the hippo

Not me!

TeacherPure likes this.
  8. TeacherPure

So Hippo, will that be your plan when you retire? To retire to your house in Bulgaria? What will you do for income?I do not have a pension and need 20 more years of NI payments to get my 35 years in total to receive full basic state pension amount.
    Any advice from anyone on how I can sort out a pension /plan for when I am old using the notion if being abroad to help with this idea, with me now being in my 30s I need to sort something, would it be best to save as much as I can teaching abroad and then buy a cheap property somewhere rather than having a fixed pension scheme? Thanks.

9. binaryhex

binaryhex Senior commenter

Nice house. Is that a council estate?

10. the hippo

Yes, TeacherPure, Mrs. H and yours truly are indeed planning to retire to Bulgaria, so we are hoping that we will still be able to get my teacher's pension and my UK pension after Brexit. (Thanks for nothing, Mr. Farage.) Yes, I am still paying in some Class 2 NI contributions, so I should be able to get most (if not all) of my British state pension, assuming that it is not abolished by the time I get to 66.

The way I see it, TeacherPure, the important thing to do in your retirement is to reduce your outgoings. That is why my next car is going to be LPG (it is really cheap and you can get it everywhere in Bulgaria) and that is why we had our whole house insulated last year. In the UK, going for a foreign holiday is quite expensive, whereas in Bulgaria you just get in the car and in a few hours you are in Greece. Or get the overnight train to Istanbul. As well as our house in the mountains north of Sofia, the capital, we also have a flat in Veliko Tarnovo. It is a beautiful and historic city.

Yes, binaryhex, the mountains and the forests do belong to the local municipality, so you could call them a "council estate", I suppose. As I live in the village, I can get as much wood as I need for our wood-burning central heating system. Does your local council provide you with free fuel for the winter, binaryhex?

If you are going to retire in the UK, then I suppose it might be a good idea to have the full teacher's pension, as well as a state pension. It might also be a good idea to pay off all of your mortgage before you retire, but how can anyone even get a mortgage in the first place, if they have to pay a fortune in rent and Council Tax, as well as leaving university with a big pile of student debt? Here in Bulgaria, you can find plenty of properties for less than twenty thousand pounds and even some reasonable ones for as little as ten, so you would not need to bother with silly things like mortgages. Of course the estate agent's commission and the solicitor's fees are going to be pretty steep for a property that costs two hundred or three hundred thousand pounds, but the costs of buying a property for ten thousand are piffling. Well, TeacherPure, do drop me a line if I can be of any further help, if you are interested in learning more about the advantages of owning a property in Bulgaria.

11. the hippo

river.jpg Just for binaryhex, here are a few more photos of our council estate. lakes2.jpg

12. fsmc

fsmc Occasional commenter

House prices in the UK are way out of reach for almost everyone, not just teachers!

The entire country is a terrible place to live if you're earning anything like average salary, and it gets worse by the day. I know for sure that after next year when I qualify, I will never return to live in the UK for any reason.

TeacherPure likes this.
  13. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

@Alldone post from higher up, I've been teaching 6 years and clear nowhere near £2000 a month after tax etc, I get just under £1.800 after deductions!

14. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

@lauravitty, had to look which post this was! I used to teach in a private school so was probably paid a little more than state. But I was just a teacher - no extra responsibilities, and not a HOD or HOY, who were paid quite a bit more. I'm pretty sure that after 6 years of teaching everyone at the school who had taught that long would have cleared over £2000. Mind you, the pay scale we had was pretty much individual. I joined after just one year of teaching at another private school, having worked in Industry 10 years previously. At the end of the year my HT had a chat and said that he wanted to put me on the top of the pay scale but couldn't do it straight away - he jumped me up three points each year. I never had loans etc - I'm an old git, so no deductions for this. Just to put things in to context, my net teachers pension (retired last year) is more than £1800 a month.
    Original post was about working in Qatar for that amount of money, my replies were really how little this is for working in such an unpleasant place.

15. the hippo

Well, eighteen hundred a month does not go far in the UK these days. A Science-teaching friend of mine had to pay almost as much for some private dental work. (Well, NHS dentists seem to be an endangered species.) Actually, eighteen hundred will go nowhere at all, if you are still paying a big mortgage or have children at university or both. Do retired teachers still have to pay Council Tax, I wonder? And what about VAT? Petrol, water and electricity? And Vehicle Excise Duty? Is parking free if you are a retired teacher? On the other hand, Alldone, maybe you are right and all of the teachers in the UK really are grossly overpaid and every single one who is retired also gets a big pile of cash each month in their pensions. Perhaps that is why there are far too many well-qualified teachers applying for the very few job vacancies that only occasionally appear in the UK.

16. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

@the hippo I hope you don't mnd me asking, but what is the current situation with regards to Brexit? How is it affecting uk residents in Bulgaria?

17. binaryhex

binaryhex Senior commenter

Nice photos hippo. Council estates have certainly come on in Bulgaria compared to where I'm living. Roll on Christmas and the World Tour begins ....

18. the hippo

stupot101, so far nothing has changed. The official line from the British government seems to be, "Let's keep things as they are for the Europeans living in the UK and for the Brits living in Europe." Well, how long will that continue? I just do not know. That is why Mrs. Hippopotamus and I will be swapping our 5-year Bulgarian residency cards for permanent ones.

Last week I was at the Sofia office of a well-known estate agents and they told me that Brits are continuing to buy in Bulgaria and they see no reason why this should not continue. As you can easily buy a substantial country house (with a nice view and a big garden) for less than twenty thousand pounds, my guess is that Brits will continue to buy over here and the reciprocal health treatment arrangements will also continue. (Bulgarian hospitals are often pretty shabby and run-down, but the doctors and nurses are as good if not better than those in the UK. Well, that is what I have heard on the grapevine.)

19. the hippo

Glad you like the photos, binaryhex. I took this one looking down the valley. We are about 60km north of Sofia, a few km from the border with Serbia. Our house is at the bottom, somewhere.

upload_2016-8-7_17-5-31.png

TeacherPure likes this.
  20. TeacherPure

Any advice on sending savings back to UK from Middle East, do you send half to your home country then keep half etc?