1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatar- Teaching in Doha

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by TeacherPure, Jun 9, 2016.

1. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Honestly, most uk teachers don't clear £2000 at the start of their career. I was paid on M6 with a tlr2a and cleared £1900 after tax, NI, pension and SL. The poster here says they are newly qualified, they won't be getting near £2K unless they have no SL but who does these days?!

But, as is said often here the importance is not the amount of monitors how far it goes. I took a large pay drop to work in EE but ihave a higher quality of life.

lauravitty likes this.
  2. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

What's SL?

3. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

EE, tira2a, M6, NI, SL! How about using something called "English", tigi?

Alldone likes this.
  4. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

PMSL! IIRC SL is student loan. HTH, K?

5. musikteech

Oh SL...student loan. I think you can get them deferred if not earning something as much as 25k per annum. I still have about £1k to pay on mine and it's deferred until next year I think. SLs just came out when I did my PGCE as I had a grant for my degree course so I only had to borrow a few thousand.

6. tigi

Yes they can be deferred but not indefinitely and certainly not when you earn M6 which I think is about 31K ish...

So if as a head of department, on M6 I wasn't quite netting over 2K I'm really not sure how a new teacher would, maybe it is different in London, but again you wouldn't be richer but rather poorer as your money would not go as far!

7. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

I retired last year from an Indie school. Was not a HOD - just taught A level Chem and Physics. Think school had its own pay scale, so I am shocked as how little you were getting. I cleared well over £2000 a month, and had done so for at least the last 10 years.

8. tigi

I think it was pretty average in the state sector, not high as it was not a wealthy school but not that low. They used the national pay scales and I was HOD of a small department (3 staff). I am guessing you did not have student loan repayment automatically deducted from your pay (as I guess you were the generation to benefit from free higher education and training)? 33000 pounds a year grosses out at 2750 pounds a month. Deduction of 366.67 of Income Tax, National Insurance at 249.00, pension of 222.00 and student loan of 90 = net salary of 1892 pounds.

I could have been paid more if I had gone and got a job in a more lucrative part of the country but then I'd have paid more in housing and other costs so I don't think I'd actually have been better off. It would have risen if I'd stayed and gone through threshold somewhat but not hugely.

9. Alldone

The grilled meats are nice - it is similar to the Japanese restaurant in the Hilton in Bahrain. Cook it in front of you. The food I realy don't like is the rotted pickled cabbage called Kimchi. Some people love it, but the smell persists so if you have some, be warned. Yes, Saudi in the 80s was the place to make money. Don't know anywhere like that now.

10. Alldone

Thanks for the reply - yes and yes. Free university grant for degree and no fees. Then worked in Saudi, and when I came back my local council, who gave me the original grant many years ago gave me a discretionary grant to do my PGCE, and no fees. I think I was very fortunate. The school I worked at said they didn't want me on a starting salary, but would put me on the top of their pay scale - but couldn't do this straight away, but would do so over the next three years. I still find it shocking how little you get. I had no idea. Would you be really cheesed off if I told you my teachers pension is the same as that?

11. tigi

It doesn't bother me really. I'm 31, have a house in the uk and a savings account with a bit stashed away, and a not too shabby starter job in an international school. So could be worse and I have got plenty of life left in me yet to build in this. I left the uk as the salaries (unless you get into a very well paying job) just don't match u to the cost of living.

12. musikteech

I don't know that restaurant. I know Fusions restaurant at the top of the Gulf hotel in Bahrain. Superb food but it's expensive.

I think it's pretty decent as a net salary. Don't forget you're paying for your pension and NHS. You could pay off a 100K mortgage on that@ say £800 a month leaving you with 1000.

13. tigi

Yes it is OK. I was lucky I lived in an area where you could buy a small house for 180K but in other parts of the UK houses are far more expensive although once you included bills the costs of living in the house were more like 900 pounds a month. I had a big commute so my car cost quite a bit, about 300-400 a month. Once you see that you start to realise that the salary doesn't go as far as you think and the cost of living in the UK is quite high regarding things like food costs. A huge issue many young teachers have is that they have to live in rented accommodation which is often so expensive that they just simply cannot save for a deposit.

I "got by" as a teacher in the UK and if I'd stayed no doubt would have continued to improve. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to travel, experience a different way of life/work and save a bit of money.

lauravitty likes this.
  14. Alldone

I think it has always been difficult to save money in the UK. What you are doing is the same reason why I left for overseas in the 80s. I had a well paying job, company car, expenses etc, but I was spending it all each month. Had nice rented accommodation, but it would have been very difficult to get a house and keep the same lifestyle. Took a starter job in Saudi on about same salary as in the UK, but tax free and everything provided - car, food, expenses for entertaining clients. Five years later had enough to buy large house for cash and have substantial savings. Entering teaching in the UK, mortgage free and with enough money to turn round and say "stuff the job" at any time, kept me going until retirement.
    Are you planning on staying overseas or will you come back to the UK? My plan was x amount of money saved - and this took 5 years. I would probably have stayed another year, but got married instead!

15. musikteech

You didn't save all that money teaching though. Your salary must have been immense if you could buy a house for cash after 5 years. Mind you I suppose if you saved 20K a year for 5 years that's 100K. You could buy a house for 100K for cash I think just about at an auction. We lost money spending the remortgage in Thailand and it was supposed to be to buy a business in Thailand but we never bought one in the end. You can't run a business yourself in Thailand, you have to employ thai workers to do it. You're just a sitting duck in Thailand as a foreigner. I think we got through 75k in 3 years between the two of us. Had to get the godparents to pay it all off so we're lucky. Mind you, we used to live in a nice town in the midlands, whereas now we live in a horrible west midlands city. I hate the place compared to where i grew up. The house is only worth 135k. The old one was 185k.Stingy godparents lol. They've got over 150m in the bank. Still, at least they got rid of the remortgage for us which was 7% interest. The thing is, can these teachers on here who go to Qatar save 20k a year nowadays. I don't think all of them get salaries high enough to do so.

16. Ceecees

Ceecees New commenter

I've just interviewed for a job in Doha, so fingers crossed! I will PM you if I am successful because I will also be in the same position as you, if I am. I know no one there and I have no "ties" in the UK so will be going it alone :).

TeacherPure likes this.
  17. tigi

I'm staying overseas for now, I do get homesick though so depending how I feel may go back sometime. I will stay over here whilst I can see the advantage over home, if it starts to change - who knows?

To the op: I know people who really liked Qatar, so it's not all doom and gloom :)

Alldone and TeacherPure like this.
  18. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

Karbala slavery. Muslim rape that they say is adultery. Amnesty International's reports on Qatar's human rights record. Widespread of young girls and women. Repressed homosexuality amongst Qatari men.

Why would you want go to and live in any sick country like Qatar?

Why?

19. Alldone

Wow - what bad luck in Thailand. I agree with buisness in Thailand. So many people go out there and lose money. How did you manage to lose so much money though? Yes, I was on a truly massive salary (and bonus) in Saudi and Qatar. Don't want to go in to too much details, but I was given 4 flights a year holiday. I was paid cash for buisness class to Chicago. You will know how expensive tickets are. This was enough for people to buy a round the World economy ticket. I used to stay in the best hotels, but it was still plenty if going to Thailand. One year I extended the two week holiday by a week in London to recruit someone. Paid for a girlfriend to fly from the USA, then we flew to New York and had 2 weeks in the Hamptons on Long Island. I think the longer I was in the Middle East the more extravagant the holidays became. I worked out that in the last year in Saudi I spent around £15000 on holidays - that was on top of flight money.

As for houses - I bought mine in 1987 in the North of England. In the last few years in Saudi I was saving over £1000 a week, and I got an end of contract bonus from my US Chemical company. Happy days. When I retired last year, my gross salary was still less than what I saved each year almost 30 years ago!

20. Ceecees

Ceecees New commenter

Have sent you a convo thing teacherpure. :)

TeacherPure likes this.