1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatar Schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sun5hine, Dec 30, 2011.

1. sun5hine

sun5hine New commenter

Happy New Year.
    A good friend of mine has recently been offered a job in Doha and is now looking for primary and secondary schools for his 2 daughters, who are still back in the UK. I have no knowledge of Doha and I know we are not supposed to name names, but any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

And a Happy New Year to you too, sun5hine.
    What your friend needs to do is to have a good look at www.qatarliving.com in the "Family" section. There is a lot of information there about the different schools in Doha, most of which is written from a parent's perspective, as opposed to a teacher's. In a nutshell, there are some very good schools in Qatar and also there are some that are not quite in the same league. The good schools are very oversubscribed (I know of one lady who waited three years for a place for her son at one popular school in Doha) and the schools that might perhaps have places available are so horrible that you will soon realize why.
    On the whole, school fees are very high and paying a lot of money does not necessarily guarantee quality or even availability. Most companies usually pay most of the school fees for their employees, but often there is a bit of a gap between what the school charges and what the company actually is prepared to pay. You could also look up the reviews of the Qatar schools in the International Schools' Review. Some of the reviews are somewhat less than flattering.
    Whatever else your friend decides to do, I would say that this is something that he or she needs to start working on immediately because there is such an acute shortage of school places.
    Did someone mention the traffic in Doha?

3. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Does the school not provide any one of those schooling?

4. the hippo

Yes, teachers are normally able to take advantage of free schooling for their own children. However, the OP did not mention whether or not his (or her) friend is a teacher. I had the impression that maybe the friend is not a teacher, but perhaps I was mistaken.
    Another point to bear in mind is that in many Doha schools "free" is not synonymous with "good".

5. sun5hine

sun5hine New commenter

Thank you for the advice. I will pass the details on. Hippo you were right, my friend is not a teacher and just wants the best for his children.

6. the hippo

Hmm. The bad news is that some of the more popular schools in Doha will not even give your child a place on the waiting list, as they are so oversubscribed. On the other hand, some schools in Qatar really are absolutely awful places, with a very high turnover of teaching staff, rubbish facilities and selfish Qatari owners who see education as a cash cow to be milked as often as possible. As if that were not bad enough, there is also an institution known as the Supreme (and Absolutely Perfect) Education Council of Qatar...

7. I think Qatar has much more schools of great quality that appropriate for forigners. its advisable for everyone intend to move and live there is to search about Qatar real estate to gurantee security and safety.

8. the hippo

It is also advisable for everyone intending to post on this forum to learn about English grammar and spelling.
    With the exception of the Pearl, foreigners are not allowed to purchase real estate in Qatar.

9. Hippo works in a school in Qatar, Maigalal. Do you? Did you attend one? If so, you're perhaps not the greatest advertisement. How many good schools are in Qatar/Doha?

10. For some unknown reason, I get the distinct feeling that Maigalal works in real estate, not in a school.... can't think why??

11. the hippo

Yes, sarahhumof3, I think that you are probably right.
    Now let's please return to the original point of this thread: the dreadful shortage of school places in Qatar. Yes, there are plenty of schools, but unfortunately most of them are so awful that no sensible parent would want to send their child to these institutions. However, these dreadful places stay in busines because there is such a shortage of school places and non-Qataris are not allowed to own land. This means that expats cannot start their own schoools without Qatari sponsors.
    Another little problem is that the Chicken Supreme Education Council is utterly useless. The main purpose of the SEC is to make problems for international schools. (Forget about trying to improve Qatari schools. I think that the SEC have given up completely on that one.)
    Recently the parents of the children in my Year 5 class have all been asking me for my thoughts and suggestions for senior schools. It is a bit difficult when most of the best schools won't even give your child a place on the waiting list.