1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatar school help

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by teachersn, Jan 8, 2020.

1. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

I was hoping to get some information on schools in Qatar - specifically the one that is run for the nation's airline. Also, what is it actually like to live and work there (Qatar that is) . My wife has read horror stories about it being expensive and not very nice with poor behaviour.

I have looked at numbeo and it seems comparable to most other large cities and assume behaviour is all linked to the school and students.

Thanks in advance.

2. synetos

synetos New commenter

Behaviour on the whole in qatar is not good. It's a cultural thing. Especially for Male students with a female teacher. Food and alcohol is very expensive in qatar and has increased a lot in the last few years. Petrol still very cheap and some schools pay utilities. The worst thing about Qatar is the charlatans who run some schools. They are businesses first and foremost and dont hesitate to mess people about.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Be very careful about accepting any offer. There are some dreadful schools in Qatar.
    Do not even consider accepting any offer which does not have as a minimum, QR14K per month, free housing (not shared), free utilities, proper medical insurance for you and family, flights at beginning and end of contract.

cookiemonster611 likes this.
  4. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

Thanks - number suggests it is a similar cost to living in Dubai, or London.. is that really the case?

I can’t find anything about the school, no reviews or anything on any forum. Anyone heard anything about it?

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things, teachersn.

6. the hippo

I did some checking up. I will send you another TES Conversation thing.

7. Noahs-Ark

Noahs-Ark New commenter

Hi hippo - can you kindly send me a conversation thing I too would like to know about this school thanks

8. the hippo

Yes, I have just sent you one of the TES Conversatiuon things.

9. intellectjm

intellectjm New commenter

Hi Hippo
    Can you send me one of those conversation things as well?

10. the hippo

Yes, of course, intellectjm.

11. thecraicis90

thecraicis90 New commenter

Based upon feedback I've received from colleagues in my present school who have been there, I'm in the process of submitting an application. Now, after reading these posts, I've got cold feet...LOL. Would it be possible to post me those links too. Much appreciated!

12. the hippo

I have sent you a TES conversation thing, thecraicis90.

13. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

I've worked here for 3 years now. Doha is what you make of it. Don't expect it to be easy. People forget the process of bringing the family here.

Salary under 12000 qar won't be enough if you want to save. Behaviour is not so bad.

14. amlolex50

amlolex50 New commenter

I have had of bad things about some schools in qatar, however I work in the school in question. It is an amazing place to work. The behaviour is excellent and the support from SLT is very good. I could not recommend it anymore. They package might be DC territory but it is more than enough.

15. the hippo

Yep, amlolex50, there are indeed plenty of scummy schools in and around Doha. Madwoman A**f's empire seems to be expanding more and more. However, I did a little bit of research and "the airline" school seems to be pretty good, by all accounts.

16. PuertaDelVino

PuertaDelVino New commenter

I was told 50 is the cut off point for visas back in September by the falling apple schools, so they could not hire me. So are there any teachers 50 and over in Qatar then or not? I wondered about going to the embassy and London and telling anyone 50 and over to "get out " and "go back home". LOL But London is far away so I didn't in the end.

17. the hippo

Yes, but why would anyone want to work at one of Madwoman A**f's rotten apple schools?

18. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Yes. 50 years old is now the cut off age for new teacher recruits. There are a good % of teachers who wanted to move schools (within the country) couldn't land one because of their age. Some, not all schools are not bothering with 47 - 48 year olds.

If you're already in the country and renewing your contract then no problems.

If you are already in the country and are under your husband's RP (visa) then no problems. There are plenty of 60+ year old teachers around the country topping up thier pension funds. Why not....