1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatar salaries

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by truth_seeker12, Aug 14, 2018.

1. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

I'm shocked to see schools offering the following:

Competitive Tax Free Salary range from QAR 9,455 to QAR 11,977 depending on qualifications, experience and location.

Then you have others offering a Normal salary with other schools:
    Tax Free: Ranging from 11,000 - 16,000 QAR per month and based on experience.

How can schools call 9000 qar competitive? That's 2000 gbp per month. I would never advise anyone to move to the ME for such an amount unless they are single and in desperate need to for cash.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Competitive is such an empty word. Loads of job adverts on TES use it, and it really means nothing at all. You see them all the time on adverts for places like Spain, Portugal, Italy etc, and the are infamous for being the worse paying countries in the world.
    I dont understand why they arent made to put their salary range on the adverts. It would stop people bothering with all the trouble of applying, then finding out the salary was terrible.... but then i assume thats why they dont want to put it on there

truth_seeker12 likes this.
  3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

"International" can be quite an empty word as well, dumbbells66.

tyler durden and truth_seeker12 like this.
  4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Very true

5. swsimp160

swsimp160 Occasional commenter

Was offered £2400 in a 'prestigious' school, or so they kept telling me, in Bahrain. I am Maths/Chemistry, IB trained, 25 years experience. Given my and employers pension contribution's here (£900/month) and state pension here I would actually be worse off there. Interview question was 'what is current salary' followed by 'we will match it'. I am to much of a grumpy old man not to give them my opinion after that offer, or the recruitment agency who tried to tell me it was actually a fantastic offer, but people need to remember their pension/state pension and not accept the garbage some schools are paying. Who the hell moves to the middle east for less? Two interviews to be finally told a salary that was far from the 'competitive' claimed was a total waste of time.

tyler durden and truth_seeker12 like this.
  6. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Recruitment agencies are like sharks. They will say anything to get their biteeven if the teacher gets bitten. If they salary works for a person then go for it. Worst part of it is when you start the job and find out that you are paid lower than a NQT at the school. It doesn't do much for motivation.

7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

If the salary isn’t mentioned or advertised as ‘competitive’, assume it’s real rubbish, especially schools advertising at the moment, for a start in the next month or two, after all the good jobs and teachers with a plan have been matched. And why on earth would anyone believe anything an agency says? They don’t work for you, and aren’t interested in anything except telling you as much BS as possible so you accept the job. There is never any comeback for them and they get their commission.

Wise up! It ain’t rocket science.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Oh no! That awful word "competitive". I think what they really mean is that it will indeed be a competition, between a small salary and a high cost of living! I wonder which one will win in the end?

PuRe likes this.
  9. fullblownattack63

fullblownattack63 New commenter

Based on my 2 successful Qatar interviews this year, bad schools offer 10,000QAR a month salary with shared accommodation and some other offerings, such as a shuttle bus to school.

Good schools will offer around the 15,000QAR a month mark, with single (non sharing) accommodation with better allowances, such as healthcare, and a petrol and settling in allowance.

I'm glad I had friends out there who informed me that the first school offer was ****! The whole group of schools in question sounds pretty dismal, I heard that girls on nights out actively avoid staff from the ***** schools!

Good luck to anyone heading out this month...I fly to Doha on Thursday!

Zgasnola likes this.