1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatar problems

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by melissaporter456, Jul 30, 2017.

1. melissaporter456

melissaporter456 New commenter

I have a job offer in Qatar and was wondering whether I should take it up considering the current political situation. This would be my first overseas post. Would be interested to know if other teachers have declined offers after having accepted. Additionally has anyone had their offer rescinded because of reduced number of children enrolling ?

2. PuRe

PuRe New commenter

As long as it's a good school & that's saying something they should look after you well. The current situation on the ground is not a problem I hear, day to day stuff remains the same.

3. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

As long as it's a good school then you should be fine. However, there was a post on another topic just the other day where a user said that their friend just had an offer rescinded from a school in Qatar due to a lack of student numbers for the next academic year. If you have only just been offered the job then I would be asking why are they advertising so late, considering the recruitment season for the Middle East tends to finish at around Easter time. Can you provide any hints regarding which school it is?

Finally, you need to look at the package that had been provided and decide whether or not it is good enough...

4. Jason_Bourne_

Also, some more experienced members of this forum who advise you to change your username, if that is your real name. I would agree with them...

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

This late in the summer, they're unlikely to rescind a new offer. School starts soon and schools know their enrollment.
    Political situation is not worth worrying about. Daily life is as normal and the other countries are gradually backing down while trying to save face.
    Horror stories aside, if you like the offer, take it.

6. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

My sources of information in Doha confirm that yes, it is true that life goes on as normal. There is food in the supermarkets in Doha. No rioting in the streets - it would be too hot for that anyway.

7. sally bee

sally bee New commenter

Really? Why would you advise someone not to use their real name when you use your own?

8. Jason_Bourne_

You really think I'm Jason Bourne? I take it you haven't watched Matt Damon's movies?

The reason why shouldn't use your real name is fairly obvious - it's about protecting your identity so anything that you do say can't be used against you particularly when working in the Middle East where you contract isn't worth the paper that it's written on and where very little human rights exist....

sabrinakat, Alice K and CBrown like this.
  9. snowflakesfalling

snowflakesfalling Occasional commenter

Apart from a few shortages early on and air routes being rerouted, things in Qatar have carried on as normal. What will happen in the future is anyone's guess. I've only been in Qatar a year but the other members of staff who have been there a while aren't bothered by the current situation at all. I'm returning in August for my second year.

10. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

:D so funny!

selbelle and sabrinakat like this.
  11. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You really need to watch the Jason Bourne films!

12. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

Better yet, read the books by Robert Ludlum.. The Bourne books are all about (if I remember correctly..) a secret agent losing his memory and then trying to regain his identity and work out who exactly he is. In this respect Jason Bourne is a rather splendid anonymous moniker to use, as if he isn't sure who he is.. The books are wildly exciting, roller coaster of action and suspense if you are a 13/14 year old boy reading them for the first time. If you are an older reader, then they are a bit pot boiler, bit predictable, bit paint by numbers type thrillers. They are available in airport bookshops and should take about the length of a flight to say, Doha, to read cover to cover. IMHO 'Team America: World Police' is a much better Matt Damon film than the Bourne ones... (Dogma is even better..)

The main reason- as highlighted above- to be anonymous on these boards is to give you a bit more freedom to speak your mind about stuff. I keep meaning to change my user name to one that doesn't identify me so easily, but never seem to get around to it. It makes little difference to me, I'm just a bit more mindful about what I post. Which isn't much.

lottee1000 and Jason_Bourne_ like this.
  13. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

This could be a cunning double bluff for all we know, he might actually be the real Jason Bourne.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  14. Jason_Bourne_

I'm just waiting for somebody to call themselves 'David Webb' and things will then start getting confusing!

15. aakib

aakib New commenter

Jason please check your conversation thing, Ive sent a question to you. Thanks

16. Jason_Bourne_

Hi, please recheck as I haven't received a message from you.

17. aakib

aakib New commenter

Sent again. Thanks

18. sally bee

sally bee New commenter

Hahaha.. sorry but that's hilarious.. my post was never meant to generate any replies. Of course I've watched the films and more importantly read the originals. Of course I never thought that that was your real name!! It was merely a typical example of the type of thing that you post when you are watching the fifth consecutive day of your holiday be washed out by an endless, driving, sheeting barrage of precipitation.
    So have fun in your little fantasy world Jason... how many people have you killed today?
    See you back in the sandpit.

Sally.... (but maybe that's not my real name??)

19. sjtetley

sjtetley New commenter

Approach teaching there with caution. The problems from my experience; aside from stifling bureaucracy and archaic employment laws...is student ill discipline and apathy from parents...Doha is pretty dire....a strange place...I now teach in Kenya where there is respect and kids who are eager to learn....a stark comparison....

20. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Yes, of course Jason Bourne is really Jason Bourne. (Not so long ago someone tried to start an evil rumour that I am actually a wildebeest.)

Mrs H and I were in Qatar for five years, as the regular readers of the pachyderm's online ramblings will know well. Yes, there are some dreadful schools. A new colleague of mine here in southern China was at the school that makes you think of that polytechnic out in the Fens. Anyway, some of his experiences in Doha were pretty blooming traumatic. 42 new teachers arrived at the school when he first came, but two years later there was only one other teacher left, as all the others had jumped ship.