1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatar or UAE?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mo022, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Mo022

Mo022 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I need your help!!
    have started sending my application to quite few schools across Qatar and UAE and i still dont know which country I should go for as both seem fairly the same to me. But I would like hear some of your thoughts particularly those who have experience in teaching both countries.
    which country would you choose out of the two?
    what are some of things I need to pay attention to in terms of selecting a school? I certainly dont want to end up in bad school that will ruin my experience.
    what schools do i need to be careful of?
    please do message me privately as well if you can.
    Thanks folks

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  2. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

The standard procedure is to send one of those TES Conversation things to a smelly old hippo.

LimboBimbo and Mo022 like this.
  3. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

The UAE has two main spots; Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Both very different Emirates in their own right. Breaking it down:

Dubai = building site (Expo 2020), extortionately expensive, busy and lower salaries. Great social scene and nightspots etc. Busy! Arguably best choice of schools for career development. Busy!!!

Abu Dhabi = building site, not quite as expensive, not quite as busy, slightly better salaries. Has a growing social scene and lots more choice for nightlife. A good handful of top tier schools.

Qatar (Doha) = even bigger building site (2022 World Cup), slightly less expensive than AD and Dubai (no taxes or VAT...yet), better salaries, not much for families or singles to do to keep you there longer than a couple of years. Not a huge choice of really good schools. Not on friendly terms with the GCC currently, no direct flights to a number of ME countries, isolated politically. Crazier driving standards than in the UAE.

I have worked in AD for a number of years and have friends in Dubai. I haven't taught in Qatar but have come across many a colleague who has, whilst I've been in AD.

patriciamcateer and Mo022 like this.
  4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

A splendid summary, rednelly84. Mrs Hippo and I spent five years in Doha and I think that what you have written is spot on. The only thing that you should have mentioned is that the UAE has the advantage of being next door to my favourite country in the Arab world, OMAN. It is an amazingly beautiful place and the Omanis are lovely, kind people (well, the ones I met!)

rednelly84 likes this.
  5. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Ahh yes. Now Oman really is a beautiful country. Have been fortunate to visit just the once but I've been itching to get back. Salalah for turtle season in the next year is in the travel diary. Funnily enough, I haven't been enticed to move there.