1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatar Medical

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by isotonic, May 9, 2017.

1. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Im pretty sure you could fly to Poland and get it done there for cheaper than that. And the medical care is awesome there. And it will all be in English. Google Lux Med in Warsaw

truth_seeker12 likes this.
  2. 2393ka

2393ka New commenter

Is there a list of medical centres approved by the qatar embassy in uk?

It is for a medical

3. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

It's cheaper to do once in Qatar. Ask the employer if that is possible. The cost is 10gbp if done inside the country. Costs 450gbp in the UK.

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I could only get a job offer in Qatar if I had a medical first. QP flew me to Qatar to have a medical before offering me a job. When I arrived 3 months later to start the job they sent me back to the same hospital to do the same medical again. The staff remembered me and my son. Strangely, nothing had changed.

5. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

QP will also have you do one before you leave. I think it's a liability issue.

6. deadly lampshade

deadly lampshade New commenter

QP has announced that there will be job losses after Eid. Talk is of 30-40%, and benefits being cut. I would just hold on a little before making any concrete decisions.

7. Mitochondria1

Surely that's just going to be in the oil sector, not education...but yea, benefits being cut will hurt, the flight allowance if you were a single was three times a year, and the hardship allowance topped up the salary significantly.

8. moscowbore

The last big cull in Qatar saw 30% of the expat population get sacked. That coincided with a drop in the oil price. QP got rid of 30% of its teachers. That was 2012 I think.

This caused problems for many of those expats as they had bank loans for cars. You are not allowed to leave the country unless you have paid off all of your debt. Many had to sell their cars at a loss and take out uk loans to pay the remainder. There were huge areas of desert filled with second hand cars for sale at knock down prices.

9. Mitochondria1

Well ****** me surprised! In which case, yea, I'd be waiting and seeing what QP decides to do...
    Dangerous times...

Edit: Did they stop doing the in-house interest free car loans? When I was there QP gave something like a 40,000 QAR loan interest free, deducted from your salary at 2000 QAR per month.

10. moscowbore

The interest free-loan is still part of the package. However, you cannot leave the country until the loan is paid back.

11. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

"However, you cannot leave the country until the loan is paid back."

Yes, that was the same in Kuwait if I remember rightly although I can't remember how it was enforced if you just up sticks and go. Certainly Dubai was the same. I'd forgotten about that.

Add that to the list of reasons not to go to the ME this year. For some (not all), it can cost a bundle to set up home, get a car, TV etc so your can get to work quickly, get into work and home life etc. If you suddenly have no job because the school decided to have a cull in October or decided to cut salaries / benefits and you decided to leave, you could be in serious doggy do do.

It all comes back to the same thing. Don't move from a UK job to a job abroad this year. Save it til next year. If you do decide to risk it and resign to go to a new job, have a Plan B. Have at least 6 months ready money in the bank and know where and how you will live if the job gets pulled without notice.

12. deadly lampshade

deadly lampshade New commenter

That would be 2015

13. moscowbore

Yes, you are correct.

14. moscowbore

My employer in Qatar had to allow me to leave the country. I could not just up and leave without permission from my employer. QP had a mind-bending process to complete before you got permission to leave the country. It all came down to a long piece of paper which required about 20 signatures and stamps, one from the bank stating that all loans were settled.

15. Mitochondria1

Ahh yes, the great 'please can I leave the country?' scavenger hunt.