1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatar Medical

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by isotonic, May 9, 2017.

1. isotonic

isotonic Occasional commenter

Hi,

I have been sent a medical form which instructs the type of tests required for my medical in the UK. I have a few questions especially to those who from the UK are going to teach in Qatar or are currently teaching in Qatar.

1. Where did you go to get a medical examination and how much did it cost
    2. If you took dependents (wife and kids) to Qatar with you did they all also need the full medical examination?

Thank you

2. isotonic

Just got a response that only I need to have a full medical - the family will only need to show their blood type

So with regards to a medical any advice where I can get one done without having to pay an arm and a leg?

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  3. inaspin

inaspin New commenter

Not sure what your medical constitutes however I just needed to have blood tests done to test for certain conditions which I did through a combination of my GP, hospital and main health care centre! Each of them then provided me with a print out of the results which I scanned and emailed to HR

The blood test at the hospital we needed to pay for which told us our blood type something which was also needed

isotonic likes this.
  4. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I just went to my GP. Think it cost me 50 quid. Mind you that was 8 years ago.

5. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

When you arrive in Qatar, you and your family will need to do a medical there, it's part of the residence process. You and your wife will need to have chest x-rays and all of you will need to have blood tests to rule out conditions such as HIV. I am talking from fairly recent experience.

abikuwait likes this.
  6. isotonic

Did you to have a full medical examination twice - once in the UK and again in Qatar.

As for the UK one, does that include x-ray, physical examination etc

7. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Is this required for the visa or for the School?

I haven't been asked for this as I was told that I will do it when I am there in the first week.

8. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Perfectly normal to have a medical in the uk and then another as soon as you arrive in qatar. I actually had two medicals in Qatar three months apart as QP flew me to Qatar for my interview. The nurses remembered my name and put me through exactly the same medical.

You cannot get any form of visa without a medical certificate BEFORE you arrive.

9. truth_seeker12

Tourist visa, family visit visa, business visa, temp medical visa, family visa with intention to obtain RP and so on......

All above can have medical done AFTER entering the country if required to stay for more than 4 weeks.

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It was quite a while ago that Mr and Mrs H had their medical done in Qatar. Not very thorough.

11. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

No. I just had one in Qatar. There are pre-approved medical centres that will do the medical for you in Qatar. However, having said this, the GCC countries appear to be getting more strict about medicals. A friend of mine is moving to Bahrain in the summer. He also has to do a medical in the country that he is currently living in, however, he has been told that he will have to do another medical in Bahrain as well upon arrival.

12. isotonic

This is what my employer is requesting:

Pre-employment Medical Examination: The Medical form is attached and it must include the associated test results from your doctor – please note that the TB test must be a blood test (Mantoux). The results should be scanned and sent by email to me, the original will be collected upon your arrival to Qatar –
    •Chest X-ray
    •VDRL
    •Screening tests for Hepatitis B and C, Tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS
    •Complete physical examination
    Blood group type certificate.

Can this all be done at the GP or will I need to go elsewhere?

13. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

be careful that you get the right TB test. if you had the BCG injection as a kid then the wrong type of TB test can give a false positive result. this took a lot of explaining in south east asia. thankfully a hand full of cash and the test results got changed very quickly :)

14. truth_seeker12

Phone and ask. I assume some can be done there whilst the rest in a private medical centre as the UK government dont usually allow tests or screening under the NHS if it is not a medical necessity. My friend had to go to his agency approved medical centre which I dont think is normal.

15. inaspin

inaspin New commenter

@isotonic
    That's a lot more than what I had to do, I just had to provide the screening tests sorry can't be of any more help

16. isotonic

Unfortunately my GP surgery cannot book me in for a medical until June which is very late for me! So looks like I will have to go the private route - any suggestions where I can get a medical done

17. truth_seeker12

Just do a search for your local area. For Saudi it is £350 for men with Walkin Clinic. Check their site

18. isotonic

I got a quote from a local private clinic for £300 - booked it as want to get it out the way before Ramadan!

19. truth_seeker12

Costs are adding up. Just hope they don't ask for a family one. It will have to be done when you get there anyway

20. isotonic

Just got an email with a new quote bumped up from £300 to £480! Getting ridiculous the amount of running around I have to do to get a medical examination!