1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qatar 2020

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by RoryIsGoingToYale, Jun 11, 2020.

1. RoryIsGoingToYale

RoryIsGoingToYale New commenter

Good morning!
    Who here has a job in Qatar this September? How are you feeling about the whole thing? Have your schools given you any update with regards to the recent news (easing of the lockdown)? Have you got all your documents legalised?
    I'm just looking for someone to chat to. I'm finding it all quite stressful. Plus my school have been very poor at communicating with me...

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Hi, non Qataris can enter from Aug 1st & at the moment they’re deciding how to do the quarantining as yesterday they said you had to pay to stay in a hotel (from a list) for 14 days. There was an uproar and now they have gone back to rethink, they said they will let people know within 24hrs.

3. RoryIsGoingToYale

RoryIsGoingToYale New commenter

Thank you, this is really good to know!

4. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

@RoryIsGoingToYale
    Apologies but this is incorrect. Only nationals and QID (resident card holders) can enter from August 1 - 31st. Citizens from now to August 1. Everyone has to self-fund their hotels.

Next date is Sept 1. But there has been no announcements regarding entries of non-citizens and non-residents.

Heads are working overtime to make a proposal. But considering the powers that be are making its citizens pay for their hotel quarantine it's going to be an interesting weekend.

5. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

6. taiyah

This link is already 2 days old. As of 10:30 pm last night some stipulations changed. See the above comment.

Best advice to anyone with a new contact. Don't expect to arrive before August 31....And be prepared for the worst. Redundancies across all industries (that pay the school fees) will continue to intensify in the next week or two.

7. deadly lampshade

deadly lampshade New commenter

Brilliant!! What planet do you live on??

8. taiyah

@PuRe I'm afraid I'd have to agree with @deadly lampshade. All of your contributions are completely wrong.

@PuRe it would be best to say that during these very uncertain times commentators such as yourself should refrain from commenting based on assumptions. Many people (and their families) like @RoryIsGoingToYale need accurate and up-to-date information.

Confusing those who are already so nervous and stressed about their (new) jobs and contracts is not needed right now.

9. synetos

synetos New commenter

Ah the joys of Qatar in all its glory.
    Im so glad I left that place.

10. dash201

dash201 New commenter

@synetos

You say this a lot throughout the forum but never explain why. Perhaps it would be useful to other posters to know why!

11. taiyah

QA and its culture is not for everyone. It is particularly not for those who manage/d to land a posting in questionable schools... Maybe it was a lack of research or got blinded by the tax free salaries that got them in those working situations.

A principal a year or two ago whinged on the TES forum about being treated unfairly blah.. blah.. It turns out this principal, him/her had no idea of the culture nor did they know that the school they were in.... well.. was a turnstile for all staff including 3 heads in 10 months.

Each posting. Each country. Each culture has its good and bad things. It all depends on the person, their circumstances and how they respond to it. If you really hate it and it's not for you? Easy.... Leave.

What many here can say... You get yourself in the right school, you WILL be financial rewarded, some more than others. Will they ask you to work for it? Yes, to make sure you fulfill your roles and responsibilities. Totally reasonable particularly if they are paying you £3000 - £4500+ a month for a teaching position with no extra responsibilities.

Will you get frustrated? Of course.. But every working man and woman gets frustrated no matter where you are or what you do.

With any possible contract. Do your research. And then do it again. Utilise the TES, F'book et al forums. If one is lucky, you will connect with the right people with up to date and accurate information.

NQT2004 likes this.
  12. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Non Qatari with QID 1st August onwards

13. truth_seeker12

@taiyah it would be best to say that during these very uncertain times commentators such as yourself should refrain from commenting based on assumptions. Many people (and their families) like @RoryIsGoingToYale need accurate and up-to-date information.

@taiyah Your info is old. The dates have changed to 15th September (possibly 22nd) for those without QID.

@PuRe Thanks for replying to people and trying to assist.

14. taiyah

@truth_seeker12

Learn how to READ and COMPREHEND dates... It's a basic skill.

Whilst you are at it, learn why this is called a thread. They go hand in hand with comments being uploaded in chronological order. Funny that...

You must know @PuRe... Only reason as to why you're commending their sheer inaccuracies and inability to comprehend the statements intially released by the powers that be last week.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  15. truth_seeker12

I don't know @PuRe. It's just that the person and myself actually know whats going on. Therefore, our information align well. @taiyah There is no need to get angry and offend people. It doesn't present a good image of a person.

16. taiyah

"... teachers would be classed as priority passengers."

A true phrase from somebody who knows QA. Laughable.

The MoPH made 3-4 sets of announcements and modifications before you chimed in.

The reason as to why there was no update... The OP unfortunately lost their contract.

A quick scan of the date.. Simple.