1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Q13: Standards book: what do I write?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by thechameleon, May 31, 2008.

1. Q13 Know how to use local and national statistical information to evaluate the effectiveness of their teaching, to monitor the progress of those they teach and to raise levels of attainment.

I've been in school during the year 5 QCA tests. My class teacher has given me a copy of the results, as a consequence some of the children in my literacy group have now been out into a newly created 4th literacy group for the remainder of the year. Can I use that?

2. I think so. I have this as one of my placement targets and don't really know what to do about it. My mentor seems to think that using school assessments to inform my planning will do it.

3. I'm having trouble with this one to. School assessments will cover it?

4. I spoke to my mentor about this and have evidenced it in two ways;

1 I have been through two Ofsted inspections whilst on placement and have used the evidence from the reports to inform my teaching (you need to include lesson plans and the report to evidence this).
    2. In some of my essays I have evaluated my teaching against Ofsted targets for schools - you can find these on their site, just search under the topic you are writing on.

My tutor has told me this is right and he has been tutoring for ages is a govenor and exhead.

Hope this helps.

5. Your SATs experience and the new grouping will be valid as long as you can evidence it in your planning. How are you personally responding to their Year 5 national tests? Are you addressing certain issues arising from their performance? If you are, there's your evidence. On my last placement, we set up an extra Maths group for some girls who were underperforming.

One other thing I looked at on my last placement (Year 5) was the class's results from the KS1 SATs. With my teacher-tutor, we looked at tracking trends over the course of KS2, working through their progress and identifying areas of weakness in advance of the KS2 SATs next year. We deliberately targetted certain areas that we identified as ongoing areas of concern from Year 2 through to Year 5.