1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Q about pros and cons of UQT or CS roles, if available ...

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by MathMan1, Dec 6, 2019.

1. MathMan1

MathMan1 New commenter

I'd posted this question at the end of my last topic ...

https://community.tes.com/threads/w...een-a-pgce-and-a-pgcert.796507/#post-12973918 ...

but I think it was missed so felt it best to start a new thread - perhaps Mr Media, or someone else may be able to offer some thoughts on this for me.

Mr Media had commented that it would be better for me not to take-up a position as an Unqualified maths teacher or Cover Supervisor route, if a TA role could not be secured.

On reflection I wondered, however, mindful that I've still got at least two years until my OU degree is complete, if any positions such as those were to become available, might they be worth considering?

I'm just thinking that for the next two or so years would not any / all practical experience in secondary schools and a maths department specifically be beneficial for me, over purely voluntary experience?

2. MathMan1

MathMan1 New commenter

Mmm ... 59 views to date but no posts; doesn't anyone have any thoughts about my question? All useful comments or thoughts gratefully accepted.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Sorry, I missed that question. Always best to tag me.

My position is that to work as unqualified or as a cover supervisor is challenging. It’s a hard gig. I admire those who do it. You would only do it if you needed the money. Some need the money and have no choice. Some genuinely don’t mind the challenge and see it as a good grounding.

If you have a choice, then there is no need to grind yourself like that. Better to do a PGCE and never have to grow the extra white hairs and reduce your life expectancy through increased cortisone levels. A TA role is genuinely fulfilling and life affirming.

If you have no choice, then you have no choice. Money talks loudest in society.

If you are lairy, hardy and love being pushed to the edge then it might actually be quite enjoyable. There will be some for whom that’s true.

A caveat would be if it was in a zero tolerance school. You could do it in one of those schools as the SLT do all the behaviour management and give you scripted lessons. Could be quite soulless teaching, but certainly achievable.

Only you know yourself. What your financial needs are and what type of person you are.

Stiltskin, MathMan1 and agathamorse like this.
  4. MathMan1

MathMan1 New commenter

Thanks for the reply MrMedia & yes, I'll use a tag in future posts.

I've recently met with maths HOD's for some of my local secondary schools and I have been offered a voluntary TA role in some of those schools; as you suggested, mature entrants with maths experience appear to be in demand.

The non-applicability of pure CS or UQT roles was also discussed and we agreed that those wouldn't be appropriate as a starting point, but also that this voluntary TA role may be able to develop further such that it may offer me a salaried entry point into the school prior to commencing my PGCE in a couple of years.

Thx for the info to date.

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Sounds good to me. You want as good as insight into being a mathematics teacher and working in school with all its acronyms, safeguarding, in-school systems and the like without the hell of actually being unsupervised and accountable for large groups of pupils (until you are ready for it,)
    I think you’ve started well.

agathamorse and MathMan1 like this.
  6. MathMan1

MathMan1 New commenter

Thx, am looking forwards to how things develop.

7. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Schools are desperate these days for maths teachers. A while ago, an OU mature student in their final year of maths degree secured a position as UQT. Upon graduation, she was put through the AO route to QTS. She’s now a qualified teacher. Seemed so easy to me. That was in a free school. On an aside, I see why GTC Scotland rejects teachers from the RUK with no full time BEd or PGDE training.

MathMan1 likes this.
  8. MathMan1

MathMan1 New commenter

Gosh! That's an interesting pathway to go down, assuming one has the necessary skills in place to support the AO route and it certainly provides the school with a known and qualified teacher in double-quick time.

My idea was to take the bursary supported route for either a SCITT or Uni-led PGCE so thanks for flagging up this possibility.

9. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

MathMan1 likes this.
  10. MathMan1

MathMan1 New commenter

11. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

The fellow in question was employed as UQT in Sep 2018, completed her degree and graduate sometime this year (2019) and last month (Oct 2019) completed the paperwork for her QTS.

You're right AO route doesn't, and can't, lead to PGCE. Traditionally, PGCE leads to QTS, and AO route to QTS is an attempt to bypass PGCE. I don't think it limits future progression within England and Wales. However, Scotland won't touch you with a barge pole.