1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Python GCSE OCR

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by drochester, Dec 1, 2017.

1. drochester

drochester New commenter

Can anyone help me?

I need a range of python challenges (with worked solutions) that students can work through and that will cover all of the GCSE curriculum.

Please give me a shout.........eternally grateful..................

2. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Have you see the ones that OCR provides? Just last week I started working on solutions for some of them (there's a link at the top to the original tasks).

Depending on what stage they're at, there are some simpler tasks, plus a .zip file of solutions (and other exampes, including things from the theory content, such as searching, sorting, binary conversion, etc.) on my Learn to Program page, along with links to links to Project Euler and programming challenges on the Ubuntu forum.

3. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Don't know if this will be of use to you, but I have put together some code for assorted coding challenges. They are in presented in the form of standalone HTML pages, with the python code shown, and callouts used to explain the individual lines or sections. The python code can be selected direct from the browser window, and pasted into a text editor without the callouts being caught up.

See image files for some idea of what they look like.

years_in_a_range_1.png

years_in_a_range_2.png

If you are interested, I have also produced a simple 'beginners guide' in the same format. It's only really appropriate for GCSE rather than A-Level, and doesn't cover GUIs, and the code is pretty basic, but it covers the following:

Running Python
    Creating, saving, and running scripts
    Creating and using Variables
    Data Types: Strings, Numbers, Boolean
    Data structures: Lists, Sets, and Dictionaries
    Program Flow: If statements, Loops, and the range() function
    Creating and using Functions
    File input and output
    Using simple Databases
    Troubleshooting

It's pretty much 'a beginners guide from a beginners perspective'.
    The example scripts could undoubtedly be more concise, and more technically efficient. They are not presented as examples of how an experienced programmer would use Python. They simply illustrate different ways of getting Python to 'do things.

browser_window_small.png

QueenieBianca and MigsAna like this.
  4. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

Out of interest, are you running Linux there? The system font looks familiar and the home directory is in your directory path. Rare to meet another user out there.

5. elder_cat

Yes, it's Ubuntu on a small netbook.

theworm123 likes this.
  6. theworm123

I used to run Ubuntu on my home PC, I run Fedora 27 on it now and on my main travelling laptop I use Linux Mint 18.3 beta. macOS at work but that is only the techs won't support Linux in offices :rolleyes:.

7. elder_cat

Sad to say I was a 'Windoze' man for years, and still have Win 7 and win 8 PCs upstairs. :eek: I did have a play with Mandrake some years ago, dual booting with Windows 98, but stuck with Windows for the most part.
    I have been using Ubuntu for a while now. First put Xubuntu on my old laptop when Vista decided it wanted to die on me. I also have this little netbook which originally had Win 7 on it. I kept putting off migrating to Win 10 on it, but eventually succumbed. Lasted about a fortnight. :mad: Scrapped it and put Ubuntu on its place. Some of the other distros look really nice, but my netbook's struggles a little now and then even running Ubuntu. I think anything else might be a bridge too far, without getting something with a bit more grunt to it. This things only has 1Gb RAM, but its's convenient to lump around and does what I want it to. ;) Believe it or not, I've never owned a Mac, never even used one, the closest I got to things Appleish is an old iPad 2. :oops: If I come up on the Postcode Lottery, an iMac would be nice.:)

theworm123 likes this.
  8. theworm123

I've used Xubuntu in the past, I keep a couple of very old laptops around which I like to distro hop on. On a netbook xubuntu makes a vast difference, especially if you combine it with a lightweight browser like Palemoon or Waterfox. I've got a Thinkpad Edge 11 which runs Windows 7 (albeit _extremely_ slowly at 2GB DDR3 RAM) which is always useful for travelling to conferences, meetings and lectures. I use Emacs, Waterfox and Libreoffice on it mainly so power isn't an issue. Needs replacing however I think it was made in 2012.
    [​IMG]
    Our network is a load of rubbish and Windows 7 takes tooo long to boot on even on Workstation PC's so I gave up trying with them. We're hoping that the techs will support Linux after xmas.

elder_cat likes this.
  9. elder_cat

Linux seems to be thought of a little more kindly of late, with big name manufacturers offering linux as standard on laptops and so forth, so maybe Santa will make you happy this year :D

theworm123 likes this.
  10. MigsAna

MigsAna New commenter

Nice work "elder_cat"!! I like the look of the Python challenges. This is the stuff to give students - problem, solution, run and test .... practice, practice, practice ...
    Please post a link - I would really appreciate the HTML pages of the Python challenges.
    I also get my students to copy paste and run code in "Visualise" so that they can "see" what is happening to the variables, including data structures, as the program is run line by line http://www.pythontutor.com/visualize.html#mode=edit

11. JaquesJaquesLiverot

I had used a Mac - albeit back in the 80s - and I also harboured such thoughts. I'd toyed with the idea of getting a Mac Mini as it seems to be the only sensibly-priced Mac (I read a book on Apple last year, and it seems that there is a deliberate fleecing of customers).

Then I found a MacBook Pro in the IT cupboard at work. I have to say that nothing has put me off wanting a Mac as much as actually using one. I really can't see what the fuss is about - it's clearly Linux-based, so Ubuntu is probably a cheaper and better option.

What I have bought recently, though, is a Chromebook. I used to think that they were a pointless thing, but then I discovered that they now run Android apps and I've got free access to Office 365 as a teacher. I put Chromium OS on a memory stick and booted an old laptop from it to make sure that I could do everything I'd usually want to do, and I can. It's not for heavy-duty photo or video editing, but I can, say, edit a web-page on my NAS and upload it to my web-site with FTP.

elder_cat likes this.
  12. JaquesJaquesLiverot

Getting back to the original question, have you seen http://adventofcode.com/ ?

The tasks are quite variable in difficulty - some literally took five minutes, but a couple I've parked for later!

elder_cat likes this.
  13. JoCoel

JoCoel New commenter

14. QueenieBianca

QueenieBianca New commenter

I’d love the link to this please :)