1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Python/Computer Science Resources

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by asif_gemini, Oct 18, 2018.

1. asif_gemini

asif_gemini New commenter

Hi,

I'm looking to teach Computer Science in the next academic year but only have experience of teaching the ICT courses. I'm looking to brush up on my skills this academic year in preparation.

I did do programming as part of my degree 18 years ago and haven't really done any programming since. I was hoping you guys could recommend a book or resources that I could use to brush my skills in Python or other material that would help me teach the course.

Regards

2. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

I tend to use " How to think like a computer Scientist: Learning with Python " there are different versions dependant on your variation of Python. Al Sweigart's books such as "Automate Boring stuff with Python" and "Cracking codes in Python" are great and have free online access, so no need to buy them. There are also online courses such as "https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/programming-101" from the Raspberry Pi Foundation, also free of charge. Last thing good luck, and enjoy the fun of teaching Computer Science.

3. asif_gemini

Thank you Sir

4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

tjra likes this.
  5. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

I found the Python courses on EdX to be good. Particularly the ones run by Georgia Tech which can be spotted

6. axlesoft

axlesoft New commenter

7. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

Not sure why this post cut off half a sentence! It's supposed to say, particularly the ones run by Georgia Tech which can be spotted by the yellow rubber duck on the picture. They are called Computing in Python or something like that.

8. asif_gemini

Thank you

9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I would say...

1) don't use Python. Use Java.

2) Read Java for Dummies

3) Read Head First Java.

Python seems to be the cool kid in education, but has I find that Java teaches far more about the fundamentals such as data types / arrays etc.

10. kav

kav New commenter

In order to start with Python, buy the Python Programming for Absolute Beginners by Dawson. Awesome book with great exercices. Then purchase ZigZag or PG Online resources, that has ready made solutions...

11. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Just be a bit careful with ready-made solutions - my experience of commercial (or indeed amateur) resources is that they're often produced by someone who has only just learnt to program themselves and the solutions can be very long-winded and inefficient. My view is that efficiency is the subject's raison d'être, and I talk about efficiency before students write their first program.

Have a look at on-line solutions for the common "Magic 8 Ball" task, for example - they almost all use multiple IFs when arrays/lists/tuples give a clearer and more extensible solution:

asif_gemini and tjra like this.
  12. RobbotResources

RobbotResources New commenter

asif_gemini likes this.
  13. stephentrask

stephentrask New commenter

I have always liked this book published on No Starch Press:

https://nostarch.com/pythonforkids

It is funny, accessible, and it suits the pace that my students work at.