1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Python and GUI

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by CashInBlack, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Hi in advance,

I'm researching GCSE Computing/Computer Science for a September 2013 launch and the department have voted for Python as the preferred language.

Now I've/we've got no experience of this. Our question at this point is, can Python create GUI Windows based solutions, as VB and Delphi can for instance?

Thank you in advance.

2. Hi in advance,

I'm researching GCSE Computing/Computer Science for a September 2013 launch and the department have voted for Python as the preferred language.

Now I've/we've got no experience of this. Our question at this point is, can Python create GUI Windows based solutions, as VB and Delphi can for instance?

Thank you in advance.

3. You can make GUIs in Python and there is a number of libraries that allow you to do this - the most popular being tkinter which comes witht he standard Python installation (more info here http://wiki.python.org/moin/TkInter). I don't know of any good IDEs that allow you to create GUIs in the easy WYSIWYG drag and drop style of Visual Studio. This means making GUIs in Python is going to have that extra layer of complexity (this may be a welcome challenge for more able pupils but something extra for those struggling to have to deal with)

If you are doing the OCR GCSE (I can't comment on the others as I have no experience of them) then making GUIs is not a necessity of the course. All but one of the programming controlled assessments on offer can be done with command line programming. I personally prefer this as students don't get too distracted on making "pretty" (I use the term in its loosest form) interfaces and deciding what colours to make their buttons. Instead they can focus on the programming structures.

4. Jesus *** h Christ.

The 'department has voted" and 'I've/we've got no experience of this'.

What a brave new World.

Do you seriously think that is good enough

5. autismuk

autismuk New commenter

Have a look at pythons GTK interface (Glade) and wxPython (with BoaConstructor) I don't think either use a Windows approach but are container orientated which makes it a bit tougher.
    There is a thing called EasyGUI which isn't a GUI type editor but is designed to be very simple - losing all the complexities.
    There is a basic problem that GUI design has moved on since VB6/Delphi and is now a lot more flexible and better designed (e.g. no more absolute size windows) but this comes at the expense of complexity. People are less interested in developing VB6 type GUI systems however easy they are because they are horribly limiting.
    Alternatively .... do something else. GUI was done because of the prevalence of things like VB6. Have a look at PyGame, maybe ?

6. Python? It quickly becomes a very difficult language for children. Not a good choice for school children and not so good for OCR Computing (which has a procedural emphasis). There are much easier options for pupils. VB.net is good. Delphi is excellent. We use VB.net in Year 9 to introduce programming but they do the GCSE Computing course using Lazarus.This means that you can continue with Lazarus easily for the A Level.

7. johnio

johnio New commenter

You may find the following useful:..........................................................................................................................................................

http://www.pythonschoolworkshop1.eventbrite.co.uk ? Aug 31/Sept1 ? Theme: OOP in Python? Venue: ARU, Chelmsford, Essex ..............................................................................................................................

http://www.pythonschoolworkshop2.eventbrite.co.uk ? Nov 2/3 ? Themes: Algorithms, Databases ? Venue: ARU, Chelmsford ..............................................................................................................................................................................................

http://www.pythonschoolworkshop3.eventbrite.co.uk ? Dec 21/22 ? Theme: Web programming with Python ? Venue: ARU, Cambridge.......................................................................................................................................................................................

http://www.pythonschoolworkshop4.eventbrite.co.uk ? Feb 22/23 ? Theme: Building a GUI with PyQT ? Venue: ARU, Chelmsford

8. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Though it must be said that these are work shops organised by CAS in Chelmsford specifically for teachers to help them teach A level computing. I did the GCSE version in Feb which covered the OCR spec and there is no requirement to code a GUI

9. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

This is true but doesn't it feel a bit like .... I don't know how to describe it but by not finishing the job off and getting it to have a proper U.I. makes me feel like the job is incomplete.[​IMG]

10. autismuk

autismuk New commenter

Lot to be said for seperation of front and back ends.

11. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

[​IMG] Fair point but not entirely convinced.

• jason_pitt - many thanks. The summer holidays have been well invested and I've downloaded several free resources and purchased some excellent texts. I've got Python (both command line and IDLE GUI interfaces installed), together with MySQL for database linking. I've cracked on and Python is both fun and easy to learn. We'll be fine for September 2013.
    • NotJohnBrown - I see you're about as useful as a fart in a space suit and as predicatably moody, unhelpful and unprofessional as usual. Damn me for not putting £10 down at William Hill that you'd spark off with some form of insulting, unhelpful reply... no run along and annoy someone else. What you don't know, is we've been an AQA centre of excellence for teaching 'A' level Computing with an average of 85% 'A*/A'... it was Python we were exploring as new... not the subject... you quick tempered ***!
    • autismuk - helpful, thank you. Most of what we'll do will be in Python IDLE so students are less distracted with creating the frills of a GUI. However, Python does come with PyGT which allows more able students, having learnt Python, to stretch their programming and produce GUI solutions. Not necessary, just a nice progression, as we do with Pascal to Delphi.
    • pritprat - thank you.
    • johnio - excellent. Not for us at this stage, but got something else from the Anglia Ruskin link, so thank you!
    • colwnexile - we are in Chelmsford too and are exploring, as a result of johnio's links, the "Teaching Computing to GCSE Level with Python" course at the university.
    • DEmsley - I agree! It's important for the students to be able to program and test their coding in the IDLE command interface... but like you... it's nice for the more able (and especially 'A' level) to progress on to GUI applications. Just my opinion of course.