1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pythagoras

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pipipi, Mar 22, 2011.

1. pipipi

pipipi New commenter

you have mail

2. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Modern builders use a 3,4,5 triangle to product right angles. At least my father used to do this, he had no idea why it worked.

A very interesting homework would be for the class to research why it is called Pythagoras,

Is it Plimton 322 and I remember the number 247 in relation to Egyption proofs that predate the Greek.

3. Plimpton 322 is a cuneiform tablet (so Babylonian) essentially listing a load of Pythagorean triples. That doesn't mean to say that the Babylonians knew of or could prove Pythagoras' theorem in the geometric sense.
    I was once told that scaffolders use the 3-4-5 triangle to create right-angles. The builders next door are not using that method!

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

May I ask, did you come at all to any satisfactory or useful conclusion?

5. One of our PE teachers wanted to mark out a right angle on the playing fields so he used a 4,5,6 triangle!!!!!!!
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

6. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

No

7. Vince_Ulam

Okay, so I won’t ask.

8. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

It is on my list of things to do before I die.

After I have solved all problems invovled with attribution of presedence of mathematical ideas, I will move on to trying to understand WTH Becks is talking about today.

9. Vince_Ulam

Who knows WTH she’s ever on about. There are some amusingly pitiful moments, such as the recent Yosser Hughes posts in one of the ACME discussions, but this week it’s more alarming, chiefly something to do with horse-fiddling and knives as you have seen in post 234:
    <u><font size="2" color="#0000ff"><u><font size="2" color="#0000ff">https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/470130/6635169.aspx</font></u>
    </font></u><font size="2">Do you think it possible that she&rsquo;s an ardent, even rampant fan of Equus, the controversial play by Peter Shaffer?
    </font>

10. pipipi

pipipi New commenter

anything controversial would attract her

11. Oh come on, be fair. You should have been happy to find one who can count up to 6.
    Most football scores only read 3 or 4 nil at best.
    Hearing one say a shuttle *** was unpredictable becuase it was tringle shape is about as good as it has got in my time