1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pyschology study in the 1960s

Discussion in 'Personal' started by angiebabe, Mar 3, 2011.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I posted this on the Social Sciences forum, but thought Personal got more traffic[​IMG]

Does anyone recall the study that was carried out - I think in the l960s - to do with factory
    workers? I remember it was about productivity increasing because the workers had been asked their views about working conditions. There was also a study where the factory lights with improved and productivity increased because the workers had been listened too, but then the lights were gradually put back to the way they originally were but the productivity did not drop.
    Really would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction.
    Thanks

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I posted this on the Social Sciences forum, but thought Personal got more traffic[​IMG]

Does anyone recall the study that was carried out - I think in the l960s - to do with factory
    workers? I remember it was about productivity increasing because the workers had been asked their views about working conditions. There was also a study where the factory lights with improved and productivity increased because the workers had been listened too, but then the lights were gradually put back to the way they originally were but the productivity did not drop.
    Really would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction.
    Thanks

3. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I guess that'd be Elton Mayo and his Human Relations school of thought on leadership - but it was prior to the 60s. His study was with the Hawthorne factory which belonged to the Western Electric Company.

4. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=SkKqFPA-YNoC&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=psychology+studies+1960s+factory+workers+increasing+productivity&source=bl&ots=EQ0wIYsCTk&sig=-K7z8iqtxEvN8nsRMMBKPux12-s&hl=en&ei=EYRvTcPJJIeevgOSwf29AQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

It may help.

5. Yip, lighting was the Hawthorne stuff. Although it wasn't just lighting - the effect happens when anything is changed in the workplace - such as reburbishing an office, increasing the number of allowed work breaks or even having a notice up of how often has been cleaned etc (even if the place has not been cleaned). Short term effects which boost productivity.
    Unless something else was done in the sixties? Was there a new set of experiments?
    Anyway, what I vaguely remember from a very boring training course is that you can change any variable and increase productivity for a short while. You can then change a variable again to increase it once the peak has died off. You can finally then change the variable again, back to the original position, and will still find that it provides an increase in productivity.
    But it will all never last - you have to keep changing the variables and it end up being a kind of perpetual circle.

6. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

You guys are so BRILLIANT! I know I can always rely on you. I was guessing at 1960s, dont know why.
    Thanks again.

7. Now I want to know why you wanted to know!

8. Oh, and sorry - not wanting to teach you to suck eggs now that you know what you meant...
    but the changing of the variables only provides the effects if the change of variable is known to the workers.
    I wrote an essay on this once...

9. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Well without going into too much detail I believe that this is happening in my school at the moment.
    I knew about the study from my Psychology degree- I remember being fascinated by human behaviour and this study in particular has always stuck with me. Pity I didnt remember the actual details, if I had I would have impressed myself no end [​IMG]

10. Yip - althought the "variables" have changed more towards "extra value added" in the form of training, active involvement in decision making, provision of childcare or acceptable work hours, etc.
    There is a Gap analysis of it (Gap12 I think, amazing name for the study, as it has...12 criteria), amongst others (PWC have one too) - amazingly, salary is quite low down on the list of things employees place emphasis on, if the other criteria are in place.

11. Im keen to learn more about social science may any1 post more notes about it thank you

12. tidal

tidal New commenter

What a very old thread

how odd

13. Putting on my scary h-b-f mask:

"Welcome to TES, vhotobo."

cyolba, more than a year until the first post? :)