1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

PYP

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by teacher1332, Feb 10, 2019.

1. teacher1332

teacher1332 New commenter

Hi all,

I’d like your opinions please. Am I wasting my time applying for schools that follow the IB PYP in Western Europe with no PYP experience? Of the applications made so far they have all been rejected except one where I got to final stage interviews. It just so happens that this is the only British curriculum school I’ve applied to.

I know I’m probably totally out of the running for WE tier 1, even with 6 years UK primary experience across both key stages. I was about to do an application for a very very small country in the South of France with just one main international school and another beginning with D in East Germany; however, I’m feeling a little disheartened! Definitely not the frame of mind to do it so hence why I thought the time would be better spent getting your advice.

Thanks so much! :)

2. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Go for it - although as you have noted, WE is quite a competitive region. The school I used to work for there only hired people with prior IB experience - especially in the primary school. Also note that, unlike the UK, 6 years experience isn't considered very much. There are several schools that generally ask for more.

Why just Western Europe? Expand your horizons, and you'll have far more choice.

3. karel

karel Occasional commenter

I’m interested how you are classifying a tier 1 school in Western Europe?

4. teacher1332

Mostly based on what I’ve read in the ISR forums from people far more experienced in the international world than I am!

Thanks for your reply yasf. I am also considering a few other places, such as UAE and Singapore but not sure how I’d get on with the heat. My gut instinct tells me I’d like to visit these places on holiday but not to live! I’ll probably get shot down for saying that! I also have a cat that I want to take. Quick research makes it seem catteries are a lot trickier to find outside Europe for when wanting to go and explore. That said they must exist in places such as UAE.

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I found the employing a maid full time covered the cost of pet and house sitting when living in the ME. My maid use to run a nice little sideline pet sitting in my appartment block in the summer holidays for all the expat families.

It paid for her daughters University tuition fees and mortgage on her families farm.

yasf and towncryer like this.
  6. towncryer

towncryer Occasional commenter

There are catteries and kennels but you need to book up quite early as they are booked up quickly. There are always people around who will be willing to pet sit for you...school admin staff/cleaners who dont get the long holiday and are quite happy to be a live in sitter.

The heat...well that;s another thing altogether...can't do much about that.

7. teacher1332

Thanks for the reply about the cat! I’ve just been informed that primary teachers need a degree in primary for UAE and that a subject degree followed by PGCE will not suffice. I didn’t realise this. Is this true anywhere else?

8. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Schools may be likely to prefer teachers with prior PYP experience. However, a number of other factors can come into play. The school may be looking for teachers with certain background or experience to balance out their current staff profile.

They may also be constrained by visa requirements for non-EU teachers which may open a door for you. What this means post March 29 and in the event of a no deal Brexit is anyones guess...

I would say no harm in applying. Also, positions often come up later due to notice periods, which whilst waiting may be unsettling, also plays into your hands.

Good luck.

9. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

How about central or eastern Europe?

Generally the salaries are better, and they can be more open to hiring folk with less experience.

10. LCass

LCass New commenter

I think that is the case in Abu Dhabi (or was the case briefly, not sure) but not in Dubai where a PGCE works just fine for primary jobs. Not sure about Al Ain.
    As for your cat, there are a number of catteries in the UAE, and even a '5-star' pet hotel. There are also companies that have an experienced cat sitter come out to your apartment for an hour or so each day. That is what we usually do here in Shanghai and our two cats have been very well looked after (and played with) every time we've been away. There are a number of international companies that allow you to link up with pet sitters around the world who willl look after your pet (and home) for free in exchange for free accomodation. Haven't done this before for our cats but I have a number of colleagues who use this option (both as pet owners and sitters) and have been super happy.
    I would continue applying in WE because there is always a chance of it working out, but schools in the ME and in Singapore are generally happier to employ staff without IB experience for IB positions.

11. teacher1332

Thank you all for your replies, so helpful!

12. snowflakesfalling

snowflakesfalling Occasional commenter

I've just bagged a job in a PYP school with no PYP experience, although I have done an online introductory course that I self funded. The school said they were more interested in having good teachers than experience.