1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PYP English - Subject Specific?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Wet Towel, Jun 30, 2011.

1. I've got an interview for a job teaching PYP English.. but I don't get it... I thought primary school teachers aren't subject specific. Would going elementary be negative for my career?

2. It appears I have an interview for a Primary Position!? It's at a very reputable school. Strange. It does give me pause for thought though.. it would be harmful to my career I guess?

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It could be a bilingual school, so you'd be teaching the English part of the PYP, rather than English as a subject, which wouldn't make much sense in a PYP school. Unless the school's language of instruction is something other than English, and then you'd be teaching English as an Additional Language within the PYP? Or it could be that the school really doesn't get it, maybe isn't a PYP school at all. So it could run the gamut from good to bad as far as positions/schools go.
    As for hurting your career, well, who's to say.
    You could turn out to be the best primary teacher ever, and find a passion there that you never quite reached teaching the older kids. It could lead to amazing things. Or it could stink. If you see yourself as solely working with older kids forever and forever, why would you even consider looking at such a job?
    Things you do well help your career. A variety of things you do well helps your career more. Moving around ***** nilly and doing nothing too well, hurts your career.
    So I guess I'm saying that without more information, I don't have any great advice.

4. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Presumably you applied for the job so did you know understand what PYP stood for? Did the job description/person spec give you an indication that it is indeed a primary job? Also as the IBO whether PYP, MYP, DP can be delivered in different language - I would say that the English bit relates to the teaching language.
    You also need to be aware that the PYP is not a subject specific learning programme rather it is more holistic and generates learning links and experiences across the particular phase - it is unlike the ENC and marginally similar to the IPC. As such for some teachers a negative experience and for others well they simply love it!
    I would suggest that you research this before your interview otherwise comments like "it appears I have an interview for a primary position" will make you look rather silly!

5. Obviously the advertisement was ambiguous/misleading.

6. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

If it said 'PYP' then there is nothing ambiguous or misleading about it! Just remember that HTs do read this forum and using your previous comments might be your downfall!

7. Thank you, LL. It didn't say 'PYP'. I've decided to take another job.

8. So what country have you eventually accepted a job in? You were applying all over the place so just curious as to what part of the world you'll be in :)