1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PYP Curriculum Feedback

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by RUS1, May 26, 2016.

1. RUS1

RUS1 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate some honest feedback. I am interested in working in a school which uses the PYP curriculum. I have done the IB Online course "An Introduction to the PYP Curriculum Model" and on paper I liked the sound of it. However, from talking to a very small sample of people who use it (i.e. 3 people, including the person who delivered the course) I get conflicting feedback. Some say it is great, the students get a lot from it and they think it is the way all schools should go. Others, including a TA who worked in a large IB school, mention that the planning for it is horrendous; teachers spend most of their time up to their eyeballs in post-it notes or taking photos to use for the assessment profile and it the students can have significant gaps in their basic skills.

Having not used the curriculum I cannot make an informed opinion. I am thinking about pursuing my PYP training further and trying to get into an IB School but I don't want to spend that time and money to be in the situation where I am working 60+ hours a week (in the British curriculum international school I am currently working most of us clock in about 50 hours a week and this is fine by me). Can anyone please share their experiences of using the PYP? Would you recommend it? Would you be happy to send your children to a PYP school and if you do how do you feel about the standards of their education?

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The PYP issue has popped up on this forum any number of times. I have never taught PYP, but have talked to those who have and the consensus seems to be that it is rather wishy-washy. If you are used to the English National Curriculum, then it seems a bit vague.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I can not directly speak about teaching the PYP, just like Hippo, but i have extensive experience of teaching the MYP. a lot of what you have asked OP has been levelled at the MYP also. as for people who think either programme is "wishy washy" or a little "vague", then i just think you must be a very unimaginative teacher. personally i find it very liberating not to be constrained by the shackles of a "British style syllabus".

with regards that you will be " working 60+ hours a week (in the British curriculum international school I am currently working most of us clock in about 50 hours a week and this is fine by me). i dont know of any PYP teacher i have worked with comes even close to this level. i have more than enough time off during the day teaching MYP not to have to take any work home (less than 40 hours a week). i am sure others will have a different experience though.

RUS1 likes this.
  4. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I did 8 years teaching UK NC, and have spent the last two years teaching PYP. My workload is much lighter, and I am much freer as a teacher. With regard to maths and literacy, every school is different, and how these are taught I feel could vary considerably within different PYP schools. So I suppose the wishy-washy-ness would depend on the individual school. I don't feel like I'm drowning in post-it notes, I'd say I use a reasonable amount :) , and assessment profiles are, again, dependent on the individual school. I find it very easy to put the children in charge of their own portfolios (and I teach a lower age year group). As with any curriculum school, some are very demanding and some are more relaxed, I think it's impossible to generalise. I enjoy PYP. It's fun. It's creative. It gives the children more ownership of what the curriculum looks like. But it's not for everyone.

RUS1 likes this.
  5. RUS1

RUS1 New commenter

Thanks for that, it's great to hear from people using both the MYP and PYP. Yeah, the freedom does appeal to me. Are either of you revans66 or migratingbird working at an IB World School?

6. dumbbells66

if you mean by "IB world school" three programmed schools, i have worked in 3 of them, over 3 continents.

7. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

"IB World School" means a school teaches any of the 4 IB programmes. Doesn't need to have any more than one

8. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

We're an IB World School and only do the DP. There was some discussion of the other two some years ago but it was felt to be too big a change.

9. dumbbells66

Sounds like a European leading school mike, one that would top any international league table. Please tell us more :p

10. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

You know, I'm beginning to get a bit fed up with your constant trolling. I have attempted to remain courteous when replying to you, only for you to continue to make unsubstantiated attacks on my school about which you know absolutely nothing. So you had a bad experience at a school in Spain. Accept that others have been more fortunate and get over it...

gulfgolf likes this.
  11. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

IB can be a lot of planning in the first year of implementation, as any curriculum is. Once you've got your materials, you don't have to reinvent the wheel every year. No more work than any other I'd say (having taught MYP).