1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PVG - Disclosure Scotland Question

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by moscowbore, Jun 19, 2019.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Any help appreciated.

I am a PVG member with full GTCS registration.

I have secured a teaching job abroad. My school abroad want an up-to-date PVG report for me. My latest one is dated 2018.

Perhaps naively, I called disclosure Scotland and asked for an up-to-date printout of my PVG record. This is where it all gets a bit confusing.
    I was sent a form to fill in. I filled it in. Then received a letter saying that my application had been rejected. I called to find out why and was told that as I was going to a school outside of Scotland, disclosure Scotland would not give me a copy of my PVG record and I was directed to apply online for a basic disclosure of my convictions which would costs 25 quid. This I did.
    On pondering the situation I called disclosure scotland again. This time I was informed that I can get a copy of my PVG record but I need to get my application form countersigned by an "umbrella" company. Investigation reveals that "umbrella" companies have been set up to provide a service to organisations who need PVG checks like childcare companies. These "umbrella" companies countersign my form and only then will disclosure scotland give me a copy of my pvg record. I would be charged money by the umbrella company and disclosure scotland.

Am I doing this correctly? It seems like very hard work just to get a copy of my own data. A police check in England is so much easier.

Must admit that I am puzzled that I cannot just request a report of my PVG record. I have paid to join the scheme, I am a member. Why the need for the "umbrella" company?

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

First of all, congrats on the job.

Can you not send your 2018 PVG Disclosure to your new school?

The umbrella thing is an utter nonsense: remember the PVG thing is a check to see if someone is able to work with children and there is simply no need for a third party to be involved unless, of course, they have a direct interest in your PVG membership. I think this is the teacher version of speed cameras, ie to generate money.

Good luck with your new life.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Thanks bigjimmy.

I already sent my new school the 2018 printout and they want a newer one. Hence my problem.

I see absolutely no need for the third party. I am already a member and I just want an up to date printout. It all seems like a money making scheme.

4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

Could you ask your present employer to do the biz for you?